⚫Chapter 4⚫

I arrived home with a sour face. "Good morning tiger," Nathan greeted me. Walking into the kitchen, I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and finished it in under twenty seconds.

"Someone's thirsty," he said with a chuckle. "And why do you look like that? What happened?" I looked at him feeling sorrowful. "It's ok Natty, I'm fine."

Throwing my bottle in the recycling bin, I headed up the stairs. "No you're not," I heard Nathan say as he followed closely behind me. Walking into my room, I threw myself onto my bed with a grunt. "What's wrong?" Nathan asked, poking me in the side. I flinched, turning around to face him.

"Do you ever think something will happen and then when it happens it's not what you thought would happen and then you're very disappointed, angry, upset, confused, and emotional?"

Nathan looked surprised after hearing my very long and fast question. "Um... yah. When I lose a soccer game," he replied. I nodded with amusement. I guess that was a good example. "Yup. That's how I'm feeling right now, and it sucks." I turned my face and buried it into my sheets.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked me moments later. "No," I muffled.

"Ok, well, pancakes will be ready in around thirty minutes." He got up and left me all alone in my room.

"Why?" I whined in between the kicks against my bed. Why on earth didn't he want me? He was literally the guy I was supposed to be with. The man I was supposed to marry and have kids with and he didn't want me. He didn't even suggest that we should take it slow. What a bonehead.

-

"Slow down," Nathan suggested. My friends and I were currently seated outside on the balcony enjoying our nice breakfast. I had the urge to talk about the incident, but I didn't want to tell my friends so instead I was stuffing my face with pancakes.

"Yeah. Your pancakes aren't going anywhere," Blaike added. "I'm hungry," I responded with food in my mouth. He looked at me with disgust. I kicked his foot under the table. "Ow," he groaned.

"You look horrible, Leilani. What happened to you?" Saphira asked. I swallowed the last bit of my sixth pancake, not wanting to respond.

"You look like you've been dumped." I suddenly began to cough, practically choking on my food. My water was finished, so Nathan hurried inside and re-filled my cup. After handing it to me, I chugged some down. "You, ok?" Lucian asked. I nodded my head in response. "Yeah..."

I had not been dumped, but she was pretty close. I, Leilani Béla Loupé, had been rejected. But not just by anybody; by my mate.

"Did some guy hurt your feelings? Nathan..." Saphira gritted between her teeth, glaring at him. "I didn't do anything," he argued with his hands up. "I have no idea what happened to her," he admitted.

Using my fork, I grabbed two more pancakes. Taking the maple syrup, I poured it all over. As I was cutting into my pancakes, I looked up to see all of my friends staring at me with confusion. "What?"

"We're talking later," Saphira said.I gave her a half smile as I continued to eat my breakfast. We would not be talking later because there was nothing to talk about. Or rather nothing that I wanted to talk about.

-

"You must tell me," Saphira stated. We were in the kitchen, baking chocolate chip muffins. It was later in the day, around 9:30pm. "What are you talking about?" I asked hoping I sounded oblivious. "Something interesting has happened and you're not telling me," she whined. She had mentioned it a few times today, but every time she had inquired, I had shut it down quickly.

"There's nothing to tell," I told her. After all, I wouldn't be elated to tell her I had a mate who didn't want me. She gave me a look of disbelief as I turned on the mixer. She knew me too well. "Leilani! You can't do this to me! We tell each other everything," she shouted while the mixer was still on. I could tell she was getting agitated. "Ok," I said, turning it off. Saphira's eyes lit up as she stood there in anticipation.