⚫Chapter 40⚫

Roman wanted to study me tonight. Elias kept insisting he should come too, but I told him it was fine. There was nothing he needed to worry about.

I was anxious to hear what Isidora had to say to us, but she told me she would tell us tomorrow instead.

After dinner, I followed Roman underground. We were greeted by a hallway with a visible door on one side and complete darkness on the other.

Roman opened the door to reveal a room. It looked like a library. There were many books stacked on tables, shelves, and even the floor. There were also pictures of people and drawings of the stars and the moon. "Woah," I exclaimed.

"I enjoy reading and learning new things, so I usually tend to hide down here," he told me. I looked around taking note of the room and its contents. "Anyway, why are you here in Regnum Ignis?"

"Well, Sebastián kind of told me about the fallout between the previous Alphas. He is the current alpha of Regnum Aqua."

"Farian's boy right?"

"Yeah, I think so. Anyway, this has nothing to do with the deed or anything, it's just when Sebastián told me that none of you alphas were speaking to each other, I felt disappointed. What happened to your previous Alpha is extremely sad, but cutting off all communication? Now that's also pretty sad. I mean didn't the moon goddess create this place so you guys can be free, but also work together?"

Roman chuckled in response. "You know so much, but so little. It's easier said than done," he answered. "Care to elaborate?"

"Do you really believe in all this Moon Goddess crap?" he asked me.

"Well... I would like to think she's real, but to be honest, I'm not quite sure."

"We only know so much about this place. And there are some of us who want to know more and there are others who don't. Our previous Alpha took that leap of faith and slipped on that bracelet, but he was unlucky. The others were cowards and thought he was just trying to rule over them when in reality he was only trying to see how he could use its power to help the inhabitants of Regnum Ignis. Not his, but Latum Alterum's. "Yeah, but doesn't the book say it's designed for a specific person? He should've acknowledged whatever he felt when he slipped it on and put it back where he found it. He caused this whole thing."

"It's his courage that I admired. He was an excellent Alpha. He enjoyed reading just like me which is why I looked up to him so much. He never wanted to hurt anyone, he only wanted to see what the bracelet could do." What Roman was saying wasn't making any sense. The books literally said what the bracelet does! Was he telling me that his previous Alpha really thought he was the chosen one?

"But, do you really think not speaking to each other is the right thing to do?"

Roman sighed before placing his hand over his face. "Maybe keeping our distance can prevent what happened before from happening ever again."

I couldn't seem to understand the logic behind what he was saying, but I chose to stop arguing with him. "You said you wanted to study me?" I asked him finally.

"Yes! Please have a seat right here," he exclaimed while pointing at a tall chair situated near the round table in the middle of the room.

"So how on earth did you get bitten by a vampire?"

"It's a long story actually, but I guess I can tell it." I told Roman what happened to me. I told him about my house arrest, and the unexpected news of us going to The Other Side. I also told him about the dead body we found a couple of days ago.

"And then when you guys came back his body was gone?" he asked sounding confused. "Yes! It was like someone was messing with us. I don't understand what happened. It's kind of sickening to think about it."

"Alright, then don't think about it. Let me ask you? Who are your parents?"

"Um, Athena and Zander. The Alpha and Luna of the SilverCreek pack."

"Ahh, I see. But they're not your biological parents? Who are your real parents?"

"They found me on their doorstep. I have no idea who my real parents are."

"And you say you were human before, but how are you certain?"

What was with all these questions? "Um, I am pretty certain I was human before," I stated with a little bit of annoyance.

"And you were born with these features?" he asked while motioning to my eyes and hair.

"Yes..."

"Interesting..." he responded before disappearing behind a bookcase. What was he up to?

"Because it's very unique. Your features I mean. You do not look like a human," he said from behind it.

"Yeah, I get that a lot. Many people think I am wearing a wig and contacts."

"You resemble an elf," he abruptly stated.

"E-excuse me?"

"You remind me of an elf."

"Elves are real?" I asked.

"I am certain they are out there somewhere. Do you really believe there are only werewolves, vampires, and fairies that exist?"

"I don't know. I haven't really thought about it."

"Anyway, I have some reading up to do, you can go. It was nice talking to you," he exclaimed before walking away to another bookcase.

"Oh, um ok. Goodnight." I didn't think he was going to ask me so many questions. I thought he wanted to actually study me, try and piece together how I became a vampire and what I was capable of doing.

I got up from my chair and exited the room. As I was just about to walk up the stairs, I suddenly heard a cough from the other side of the hallway. I was certain it wasn't from Roman because it sounded quite feminine. Was there somebody else down here?

"You ok?" Roman asked me out of the blue. I turned to look at him and nodded my head. I felt a cold shiver down my spine as I turned back around to look into the darkness again. "Yeah, I thought I... uh, I'm just going to go."

I ascended up the stairs quickly and rushed away to join the others.