Chapter Nine

▬

[ CHAPTER NINE ]
Siriusly good at Spontaneity

The plan was to meet Sirius at the castle entrance for half six so today she was taking no chances after the palaver her lateness caused the previous day. Although she felt rather sleepy today she forced herself to not fall asleep on her desk and work instead. Did she manage to complete her potions essay? Well ... no, but she was awake which was definitely a good thing.

As she'd 'worked' (otherwise known as staring at the page daydreaming or glancing at Sirius' fashion magazines), she'd been vaguely aware of the other girls' presence but hadn't given it much thought. That was until she decided to call it a day and get ready to leave. It was then that she realised, they also appeared to be getting ready to go somewhere as well, donning coats and in Lily's case a warm scarf and mittens. Usually, she would have simply minded her own business but given that she'd been tasked with befriending Lily, decided maybe it wouldn't hurt to incite a little friendly conversation.

"Are you ... going somewhere?" She asked. Her biggest fear had been speaking too quietly but she'd sadly overcorrected and shouted so loud that Mary actually jumped with fright.

"What?"

"You heard me," She replied which she meant as a statement but came out far more aggressive than intended.

Luckily, Marlene thrived off a little chaos and twirled around from the mirror where she'd been brushing her blonde mane of hair, "Yeah, we are as evidenced by the fact Lily is wearing bloody mittens in September. Come on, Lils, show a little skin ... or are you afraid the setting sun might burn you?"

"I'm sorry for not wanting to catch a chill!" Lily snapped back defensively before adopting a cooler tone, "Anyway, you know I have skin like alabaster, I was actually more worried about the moon."

"Ha, same," Exie murmured without thinking. The others didn't hear luckily but the conversation had been a little awkward so she decided to leave it at that, this was a lot of mental work on her behalf.

"Are you going somewhere?" Marlene asked to which she simply nodded before turning away again, "Okay..."

With that, the girls turned their attention to a pimple on Mary's chin that apparently hadn't gone down with the usual spells. This distraction suited Exie quite nicely who used it put her jacket on in peace. With one last check in the mirror to ensure her appearance wasn't that of a dead banshee that had been rotting in a stream for a month, she set off. 

However as she rushed down the stairs, she became aware again of the fact she wasn't alone after the door opened mere seconds after she'd left, followed by the sound of the other girls' voices. After the uncomfortable conversation earlier, the last thing she needed was them coming too and hearing them behind her sent a pang of apprehension down her spine.