Chapter Thirty Four

▬

[ CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR ]
Hector De Floof and the Durmstrang Strangler

It was pretty obvious the notes had come in this fashion to stop them from planning their stories together too thoroughly. In hindsight, they should have done this on day one but nobody had been in the mood to relive the events of the night baack then. 

"Did you get the note?" Lily rushed over within seconds of leaving Transfiguration, completely pale in the face.

"Yes, I did, mines' with Flitwick," Exie replied.

"Mines with Professor Slughorn, that should be fine, right? I'm one of his favourites - "

"Lucky for you," Sirius's voice came from behind them. The boy was thankfully not in such bad spirits as the other day but was definitely far from even just 'okay' yet, "I've got Professor Cuthbert, famously strict and he hates me with a passion."

"Oh no," Lily put one hand gently on her chest, "What do we do? We can't tell the truth, obviously ... right?"

"Not so loud," Sirius hissed as Remus came to join their cluster, dryly holding his note up.

"Professor Sprout."

For some reason, this amused Sirius, the corner of his lips turning up in a smirk, "Wow, someone's clearly not high on their priorities list."

"Or they just reckon I won't be a massive pain in the arse and need someone strict to babysit me," Remus replied dryly which shut Sirius up. "We have to figure out what to say - "

Peter suddenly rushed up behind them, on the verge of hyperventilating, "Mine's with McGonagall and a ministry official, this is so scary ... what if it's the Minister. Holy Hippogriffs, I can't do this - "

"Relax, you know the least out of all of us and after you little breakdown in front of her, McGonagall will go easy," Sirius pointed out helpfully.

His voice trailed off as everyone noticed James standing in the door. The rest of the class had left by now, hurrying to their next lesson. James seemed in no rush though, quite the opposite in fact as he observed them thoughtfully.

"Wow, If I'd known I could cause such a stir standing completely still I'd have taken this up a long time ago," His tone was completely humourless despite the half smile on his face.

Everyone was a little shocked: this was the first word he'd said to them since the fateful night. Not through lack of trying mind you but when James put his mind to something it usually worked and right now he wanted to avoid all of them more than anything.