Chapter Twelve

▬

[ CHAPTER TWELVE ]

Pun Queen by day, Problem solver by night

Exie had been a long time advocate against what she called the Sexist stairs or 'Stair-xist' (admittedly not one of her finest words). Why were girls trusted to go into the boys' dorms and yet the opposite didn't apply? Not only was it sexist but downright inconvenient yet for the first time in forever, it was coming in handy. Had the boys been able to follow without sliding all the way to the bottom, then they might have heard her unaware mumbling as she tried to figure out what the devil had occurred.

"... but why Lily in mittens," She mumbled, shaking her head absentmindedly. Perhaps the reason it made her happy was because Lily had cared a lot in that moment? But surely if that was the reason it made her so happy then her mind would have jumped to one of the many times the boys had carried her to the sofas, made her a hot chocolate or stole breakfast when she was done ... so many times. What made Lily so special?

"It has to be the damn mittens - "

"I'm sorry?" In her oblivious state, Exie hadn't even noticed how close she was to the dorm nor Lily, hovering in the doorway on the verge of leaving.

"Mittens!" Appeared to be the only word she could say which made her cheeks flush as red as her dormmate's hair. 

"Mittens?"

The shock of the encounter was alltoo much and Exie decided that she'd much rather prefer to be planning in the boys' dorms right about now. Sadly, her mind was suddenly ridiculously and hopelessly addled. It told her the best thing to do was walk away backwards forgetting she was on stairs. It all seemed so very logical until her foot found nothing but thin air beneath it and the prospect of perilous death became all the closer.

"Oh, bugger it!"

Her hand flailed for the banister but narrowly missed, the wood and her fingertips grazing for a fleeting second before carrying on their seperate ways. She closed her eyes preparing for the inevitable fall which had happened a few times before (the perks of being a narcoleptic) but this time it didn't come: a firm hand had grabbed her wrist, yanking her up with extreme force. Slowly, she opened her eyes, feeling like a bloody damsel in distress except this time the night was a surprisingly pretty redhead who's face was mere inches from her.

"Merlin's beard, Lily, you're strong..." She replied in astonishment.

Their eyes remained locked as Lily breathlessly replied, "Well, I used to play violin so there's that." This didn't seem like much of an explanation but right now, Exie was far too grateful to care. This was twice now that Lily had helped her out in a few days, it was getting a bit ridiculous.