Chapter Thirty Seven

▬

[ CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN ]
The Enigma Squad

This was possibly the most complex code since Enigma which meant it required the greatest minds of their time to crack it. By that, of course, she meant Remus, Sirius and Peter - the latter boasting many years of helping Nana Pettrigew with her cryptic crossword. 

After letting Remus and Peter complain for a solid ten minutes about how Hannah and Gilbert hadn't stopped questioning them all of dinner, even asking what time Sirius was born, they were ready to crack on. Enthusiasm had been high ... at first. By the end of the hour, it was a different story.

"Maybe it's a name ... Alba..." Sirius said before falling back onto his pillows in despair, "Who the fuck is Alba? Another bird he fancies?"

"Yes, because James is so good at hiding his crushes," Remus sarcastically replied.

"Fine, maybe it's not a name. Merlin's cock, this is so boring," Sirius moaned, kicking his feet up, "Why would James give us something this dull?"

"He didn't though," Remus pointed out, "It was left for Severus."

"The king of nerds..." Suddenly he shot upright, "That's it! That's what we need!"

Exie grimaced, "Severus?" 

"No, a nerd," He jumped up, "We need someone who actually enjoys this kind of thing... Exie, is your girlfriend around?"

"Hey, Lily is not a nerd!"

"Did she or did she not buy Slughorn a card at Christmas?"

"...well, she didn't buy it, technically she enchanted it herself - "

"That's way worse and you know it!"

Exie sighed, there was no disputing it. Lily was a pretty big nerd, "Fine, I'll fetch her."

"Yes, I bet she'll love this. I mean, come on this girl reads for fun," Sirius scoffed, "I've never done that in my life."

"I didn't know you could read," Remus remarked, earning a glower behind his back from a moody Sirius.

"I'm not just a pretty face"

"Barely that."

Exie tore her attention away from them, rushing off as fast as she could to the girls' dorms. Further proving her friends' point, Lily was in the middle of an essay even though Mary and Marlene were talking loudly right next to her.