Chapter Thirty Two

▬

[ CHAPTER THIRTY TWO ]
Let the Manhunt begin...

The school remained a cacophony of cries and shouts, people running frantically in all directions. Given the dark political times, Exie had hoped the school's protocol would be a little better but things had been quiet recently, the unexpected always caught people off guard.

"Hold on - " Sirius suddenly stopped, causing the other two to crash into him.

"What is it? What do you hear?" Exie asked as he gestured for them to look down over the balcony.

Trying to zero in the sound, Exie's ears picked up a familiar shrill voice with the rare ability to cut through crowds, "It's Marlene and Mary..." She noticed another voice, "And... Peter?"

Looking equally as confused, Sirius nodded, "I think so - "

"Come on, those stairs are about to move, let's go!" Remus pointed out, pulling the two of them as they leapt onto them just in time, legging it towards their friends.

Annoyingly Lily was nowhere to be found, just Peter with his arms around both Mary and Marlene.

"Woah, hello, think we've got ourselves a ladies' man," Sirius chuckled despite everything.

"He's not seducing them, look," Remus pointed down: Peter was putting less weight on one foot than the other, obviously hobbling.

"Oh no," Exie moaned before shouting, "Mary! Marlene!"

They turned instantly, faces cracking into relieved grins as they cried back, "EXIE!"

Running down to meet them, the pure frustration on Marlene's face was evident. Even Mary for once looked a little annoyed although it could have just been the tiredness hitting her; she was an early riser but half four was taking the piss.

"We found your little friend," Marlene sneered before her face suddenly creased up, "Ow, Peter, you just pulled my hair!"

"Sorry, my foot slipped off the step so I grabbed the first thing I could!"

"Pull my hair one more time and I'll push you down the stairs again..." Seeing the look of horror on the newcomers' faces, she quickly added, "I would like to clarify I didn't push him down the stairs at all despite what my 'again' implied. I was merely referring to the fact this isn't his first tumble of the night."