Chapter Seventeen

Louis wants to attend Harry's football match by surprise. He asks for Stan to drive him to the game, both of them on the field and taking a seat on the benches. The siren is sounded and the players fled their locker rooms to go onto the pitch.

The referee stands in the middle with a foot on the ball. Players of all sorts of colours appear and Louis is darting his eyes around trying to find player twenty-eight. It's a swarming mess of colours and Louis doesn't think Harry's even on the pitch.

He's right.

Harry isn't there, at all. He excuses himself from Stan and goes into the locker rooms himself. Harry's not sitting in the rooms, nor is he anywhere near the rooms. He's suspicious. Louis takes his phone out and texts him quickly.

Hiiii H where ru? x

im playin football x

Louis glares at the message for a moment, trotting back to the fences and looking around for Harry. He's definitelt not here, he can spot the mop of curls anywhere.

r u really? x

yeah im about to go on the pitch x

He's lying, and Louis is starting to grow a little anxious.

really?

Harry knows something is up if there's no x's. He might as well tell the truth.

r u at the pitch? x

i am. x

oh.

Louis calls him and Harry answers.

"Why did you lie to me?" Louis asks immediately. "You're not playing, H. There's people on the field right now."

"W-Why are you even there?"

"I wanted to surprise you!" says Louis. "Harry, where are you? Are you at home?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Why aren't you playing? Didn't Liam ask you to play this weekend?"

"Yeah, he did. I-I'm just feeling a little ill that's all."

"Are you all right?" Louis questions. "Your mum isn't home, is she? Do you want me to come around and look after you?"

"I'm fine, Lou."

"Harry, you're not very convincing," Louis admits.

"I-I just don't want anyone over, all right? I... I don't need to tell you everything."

"What do you mean? I thought you were just sick?"

"Y-Yeah," Harry stammers. "I gotta go, Lou. I'll see you sometime," Harry hangs up, leaving Louis itching for information. Harry's never been like this, and Harry would always play football, even when he's sick.

Something's up.

*****

He knocks upon his window, waking Harry up from his peaceful slumber. He rolls over and looks to the window, seeing Louis tapping at the glass and squinting his eyes to grab a look inside. He's failing. Harry stands from the bed and opens up the sill. He's about to jump into the room, but Harry stops him with a dark glare.

"Harry," Louis frowns. "Am I not allowed in?"

"What are you doing here?" It's bitter and sharp. It scares Louis primarily.

"I-I came to see you," Louis admits. "I wanted to see you and surprise you at the game, but... you know," Louis shrugs, resting his hands on the window's edge near Harry's. Harry shifts his away and it brings Louis to suspicion. "Haz, what's wrong?"