Chapter Twenty Seven

Anne wakes Harry in the morning. She's surprised to see there is another being under the covers just beside Harry. Louis is topless and curled like a slater. She would have missed him if she didn't pull the covers down.

"Oh," is all she simply says. Harry sits up in bed and Louis follows after weakly squeaking and opening his eyes. Both blink to Anne, and she smiles to the boys, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Is it necessary for me to call up the school?"

Harry could say that he didn't want to miss school from his grades last semester, but if his mum is offering. "Yeah," he looks to Louis. "Yeah, that'll be good."

Anne leaves the boys alone, closing the door behind herself and heading to the kitchen to phone the school. Louis panics and clutches Harry's hand in fear.

"Harry, if my mum finds out I'm not at school--"

"Mum will call in for you," Harry says. "They can't call your home if my mum calls in for you. Everything will be okay. I'll walk you home later."

"But the ute, Harry?"

"Just say you wouldn't have had enough fuel or something so you took the bus just for today," Harry tells. Louis bites his lip in worry but Harry reassures him with an arm around the back of his waist and a kiss to his cheek. "Don't fret, Lou Lou. It's all right."

Harry decides to shower after relaxing Louis for a bit longer. Anne comes upstairs and knocks before entering, seeing Louis sitting on the bed looking at his phone. She closes the door and sits on the side of the bed. Louis looks to her with a smile.

"Harry's showering."

"I know, love," Anne nods, grinning gently at Louis. "I came in to talk to you."

Louis sets his phone down to the bed and blinks to Anne. "Talk to me?"

"I worry about you, Lou. Remember we talked a couple of weeks ago? I said you can tell me anything? Anything at all. I'm here for you because I know you're having a rough time with your mother and new father, and even though I know my son's there for you, I want you to know you can tell me also."

Louis sighs. "You're like my second mother, Anne. I know I can tell you anything but... I just feel like sometimes it isn't really your duty to listen to all my problems. I feel the same for Harry too, you know? But I can't help going to Harry because we've been there for each other since we were seven and eight."

"I don't mind, Louis. If you really do think it isn't my duty to look after my son's best friend, then I wouldn't have taken you home that night the first time you slept over," Anne laughs. Louis laughs with her. "Still remember that. Harry was so upset you had to leave. But just things like that should tell you I'm always here for a chat and I'm always here to listen to you."

Louis twiddles his thumbs. Harry's still in the shower and he thinks he might be able to tell Anne the whole lot before Harry comes out. He can trust Anne with these secrets, he can trust Anne with everything. She's still smiling to Louis, waiting for a response. Louis looks down to his fingers then back up to the mum, smiling weakly.

"C-Can you promise me not to tell Harry?"

Anne nods. "I promise, Louis. But I thought you would have told him about... everything."

"I haven't told him everything," Louis whispers. "I-I don't know if I should tell him everything."

"Tell me what's on your mind and we'll figure it out together, okay?"

Louis acknowledges her with a quick smile. He frowns and looks to the bed sheets, twisting his fingers into the linen and thinking to himself. He can trust Anne with everything. She won't tell Harry. He needs to tell Anne.