DAMAGED GOODS| 36

Aaliyah

My head snapped in Hope's direction to see her staring back at me. I got up quickly with Kairi and sat beside her.

"Hey baby" I smiled. She crawled to me and pulled my into a tight hug. I held her not wanting to let go.

"I saw my nana" she whispered in my ear causing me to freeze. I stared at Dave not knowing what to say. My eyes began to water. "She said the devil was playing tricks with your head, she isn't mad at you. She said she loves the way you care for everyone and the way you've learned to love. And she said I'm her favorite grand baby."

"You're her only grand baby" I chuckled letting her go. "How do you feel? Does anything hurt?"

"My head hurts" she said touching it "Nana told me something else to tell you but I can't remember"

"Hey Peanut" Dave said standing beside her bed

"Someone told me to tell you 'wassup' he said his name was freak or frank. I forgot" she said hugging him. Dave stared at her for a bit, slowly returning the favor

"Freaky" he said

I thought about asking who that is but his facial expression made me change my mind. I grabbed his hand and pulled him to me.

Kairi smiled at Hope and laid beside her, telling her about the cookie her grandmother gave her.

Dave stood between my legs looking out the window that was behind me. I held his hands as I looked up at him.

I'm guessing I was staring for too long, he looked down emotionless going back to his seat.

"Hi Hope" Santana waved half asleep

"Hi uncle Tana" she waved back

My phone ding from behind me.

Oldhead Mike💛👴🏼 you want something from the store?

Lil Liyah❤️ snickers please. . .Hope's awake

Oldhead Mike💛👴🏼 Ight I'm coming

*
*
*
*

Hope's doctor came and gave her a check up then took her to get her head CT.

When they came back the doctor told me she has a tumor on her brain.

It's the size of a cutie, the seedless oranges for kid.

I zoned out staring at the papers for Hope to get it removed. Do I have the money for this surgery? Would Hope remember anybody after? The tumor is attached to her hippocampus, which is located deep into the temporal lobe.

What the fuck am I going to do?

"Mommy, I remember know. She said 'God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers, fight through it until you take your last breath'" Hope mumbles against my shoulder

Well thanks Lord, I'll take that as my sign. I signed the papers then handed them back.

I closed my eyes and said a prayer resting elbows on my knees while holding my head up with my hands.

If this surgery goes wrong Hope could forget me. If that happens there's no one to blame but me. I'm the one who signed off on the procedure.

Tuning into the conversations around me I heard Mike's voice.

"Bean I got you something, it's at house though" he says sitting beside me "Why do you look upset, Liyah?"

"She has a brain tumor, Mike" I whispered