13

olive toned hands grazed the small picture with caution, edges now bent and yellowed

in the photograph, three boys were depicted, one of them taller than the other two, a goofy grin displaying prominent dimples looking at the camera. they were shown to be at a party, given by the lighting and vibe.

he gulped as he recognized himself in the photo. he had his arms around two other boys, pale and quite similar in complexion and height. the smallest of the three, childlike expression, was showing his bunny teeth, a cheeky feeling shown in his eyes, while the other male wore a smirk, cigarette in hand.

he put down the small piece of paper and held his head in frustration. he remembered that exact night.

🍁

“you know, hyung?” namjoon turned to the small boy, a glimmer in his eyes.

“tell me,” he lit his cigarette, pressing it to his chapped lips again and closing his eyes while smiling half heartedly.

“I really look up to you,” he leaned on his shoulder, staring into space as the other boy in the room scoffed.

“joon, he's too damn innocent, he's like a baby!” yoongi said in a mocking tone, but warmth was behind that, and his words were calm and soothing.

he got up to sit with them, putting his arm around the younger.

they stayed there for hours, talking about life and nonsensical things, namjoon’s laughs, jungkookie’s giggles and yoongi’s annoyed groans resonating through the room. the walls would forever hold the melodic voice of the younger in their memory, making it impossible to go there again if not bursting into tears of guilt.

🍁

everything they had spent together had been splattered with a macabre ending. from strangers to nearly brothers, the older of the two had taken jungkook into their small friend group, the younger always attentive to every move that his hyungs made, trying to be like them. he was only sixteen, and he thought that everything they did was admirable, wanting to be like that too.

yoongi and namjoon, a typical ‘bad boy’ reputation, a ‘no fucks given’ attitude. all of this was intriguing to an innocent boy like kookie.

soon he started going out with them late at night, drinking, like they did. the warm and golden liquid gurgled down his virgin throat, and despite the unknown taste, he wanted more.

one day after summer break he had showed up at school with his fringe covering his eyes, lip pierced and fists in rage. he had ignored yoongi and namjoon, too plunged into his own thoughts that his hyungs were no longer a part of them.

he wasn't jungkookie anymore. he had changed. he started smoking and skipping school. as a result, his perfect grades dropped down fatally and that corrupted his relationship with his parents.

they couldn't bring jungkook back to reality however much they tried. it was too late.

hate occupied his mind, once blooming in creativity and wonder. his bunny grin was gone, replaced with a permanent scowl.

and a drug overdose cost him his life when he had just turned seventeen, a true shock for many.

namjoon beat himself up for it, saying that "he didn't teach him well, he was supposed to be a role model for the kid, instead influencing him fatally,"

“I… I don't deserve to live yoongi… not after this,”

yoongi had held him for the rest of the night while the sofa was stained with tears. yoongi was not the man to cry, but guilt managed to step its way into his head. they never meant to do any harm to him. they had only done what any other teenager would do.

🍁

but namjoon changed, and his mindset grew too. he was now studying to be a lawyer, aiming for a better life. yoongi, of course, worked everywhere he could, shifts at restaurants, cafés, he even worked at a gas station for a few months… until he found his full time job. but that still wasn't enough to make him happy.

his mind was now flashing back to when he had caught the exhausted driver taking anti-depressant pills. a drug, say no more.

at that moment his heart had panged and a sense of panic had taken over him.

he felt responsible for jungkook's death and didn't want yoongi to take the same path.

he couldn't bear losing him, too.

🍁

(A/N) So in this chapter we get to know a bit about joon's backstory and I hope that you now understand why he's so protective over yoongi. im really sorry if this is getting shittier because that's what I feel it is, but oh well. ty for reading♡