Chapter 7: Being there when it matters the most

Pikachu's sensitive nose couldn't get rid off this sent that had been within the air for the last several minutes and the rodent tried to remember it. Sniffing, the rodent caught the attention of the remaining group members.

"What's up, pal?" Ash asked curiously.

May tried to sense something as well, but she just smelled the fresh air of the forest.

Moving forward, the electro-type followed the scent that reminded him on an old friend that he hadn't seen since his early days with Ash. The more Pikachu remembered the faster he ran through the forest, confusing his friends.

"Pikachu, where are you going?" Ash exclaimed.

"Something caught his attention!" May explained.

Eevee, Beautifly and Aipom asked the mouse in Pokemon language what he was doing, but they weren't very successful at this. With nothing better to do, everyone followed the rodent through the woods.

Suddenly, Pikachu grew a smile and he became even faster.

"Apparently, Pikachu is happy about something." Ash noted.

After a short sprint, the group once again reached another clearing, but this time it consisted of a small hill with a single tree stump on its highest point. Immediately, Pikachu stopped and looked up to see the tree stump, where the scent came from.

Again, Pikachu looked with some disbelief to that place.

Ash, May and the others caught up with the mouse, although they panted slightly.

" ... what made you that excited?" Ash asked before he looked to the tree stump as well.

Ash made big eyes when he recognized that creature on the tree stump, but he thought about the likelihood of this situation. Unlike him and Pikachu, May and the remaining Pokemon were quite confused.

Looking alternately to Ash and the rodent, May was puzzled.

"Pikachu, do you think that's him?" Ash asked his yellow Pokemon.

The mouse nodded slowly and now, Ash realized the light orange neckerchief around the neck of him.

"Ash, could you please tell me what's going on?" May asked sternly.

"Well ..." Ash said with a smile. "We found an old friend of mine."

May raised an eyebrow before she looked to the tree stump as well. Although, this individual sat with his back to them on that stump, May could tell that it was a Pokemon.

It was Ash's Butterfree.

Without wasting a second, Ash and Pikachu walked quietly up the hill.

May looked to Eevee and Beautifly, and motioned with her head that the fox and butterfly should follow the others as well.

Ash put his finger to his mouth to shush his Pikachu.

Approaching his bug Pokemon from behind, Ash wanted to surprise Butterfree with their appearance, however, he noticed that his small Pokemon sighed, causing Ash to raise an eyebrow.

Gingerly, Ash tapped Butterfree on his wing.

Startled by this unexpected touch, Butterfree immediately turned around and stared at these unknown individuals.

As soon as he looked into the face of his old trainer, Butterfree's eyes started to be filled with tears.

"It has been some time, hasn't it?" Ash asked rhetorically, yet happily.