Chapter 11: Signs of Easter

May just wanted to push the button of her Pokeball to release Beautifly into the wildlife again, so that she could follow Butterfree and the other butterflies on their journey. However, before she could so, May's arm was pushed down and the brunette was puzzled.

"Who?" May was confused.

Everyone was surprised to see that Butterfree prevented May to release her Pokemon.

The Kanto butterfly flew silently in front of May, seemingly thinking about this whole scenario as well.

"Butterfree, what are you doing?" Ash said, shocked. "If you don't leave with Beautifly now, you won't be able to follow the swarm."

However, Butterfree shook his head, relinquishing the journey with the other Butterfrees.

Beautifly didn't know what to think, because she loved Butterfree and she feared that Butterfree would leave without her then. On the other hand, it was just too short-termed and Beautifly actually didn't want to choose between Butterfree and her trainer.

Pikachu, Aipom and Eevee tried to read the butterfly's facial expression.

"It's nice from you to care for me, Butterfree, but I don't want to stand in your way ..." May explained sadly, knowing that Butterfree only did that for her. "I want that Beautifly and you are together, even if that means that we won't see each other again that soon."

Once again, Butterfree looked to the last Pokemon of his kind that flew in the sky.

Far in the distance, Butterfree assumed that his former girlfriend would go onto the journey with her new love as well, however, Butterfree wanted to go onto another journey.

"Butterfree, you can make Beautifly happy and if she is happy, I'll be happy as well ..." May said with a mix of sadness and happiness. Again, May lifted her Pokeball to release Beautifly, but again, Butterfree pushed her hand down to prevent it.

" ... "May was puzzled.

Now, Butterfree flew to Beautifly before he discussed something with her and strangely enough, Beautifly's expression changed to a happy one and her eyes sparkled. Talking with each other, the two butterflies confused everyone else.

Apparently, Butterfree asked many questions and Beautifly answered quickly.

Ash looked to Pikachu, but the rodent listened carefully to the conversation.

Eventually, Beautifly flew to May before she landed on the brunette's head.

Butterfree did the same and landed on Ash's head.

Meanwhile, there weren't any Butterfrees on the sky anymore.

"Butterfree?" Ash was slightly confused, but he tried to interpret his Pokemon's actions. "Are you staying with us to be together with Beautifly, although you won't be able to follow your swarm anymore?"

Butterfree nodded.

Pikachu, Eevee and Aipom grew a smile and the Pokemon immediately gathered around the trainers to show their happiness. It would have been extremely sad if Beautifly and Butterfree had left the group now, especially after their successful fight against Crystal Onix.

May started to sob again.

"May, aren't you happy that they stay with us?" Ash asked carefully.

"*sniff* ... of course, I'm happy that we don't have to split up ..." May wiped some tears away. "It's just ... so touching that Butterfree chose us over his swarm ..."

"It's touching ..." Ash repeated the words. "As long as we are together, everyone will be happy."

"Yeah, together ..." May thought about those words, smiling.