Chapter 9: David(s) vs. Goliath

May still clang to Ash's arm when the two big eyes ogled at them, but the brunette could swear that she saw a small tear at the bottom of one eye. Nevertheless, it was creepy and the coordinator tried to pull Ash away from this creature.

"Ash, let us go ..." May pleaded.

Suddenly, the creature moved before a "chain" of crystals whipped towards the trainers.

"Watch out!" Ash exclaimed and he pushed May to the side before he avoided the attack as well.

Still wearing her swimsuit, May received some scratches on her skin, but it was nothing compared to what would have happened if this attack had hit her.

"That was close!" Ash said.

Eventually, the creature left the dark corner of the cave and immediately, several sunbeams were reflected on its skin. At first, Ash was blinded, but when he could look at this Pokemon, he couldn't believe that it actually existed within this area.

"Ash, what is this?" May asked fearfully.

"It isn't the right time for long explanations; therefore I'll make it short: It's a Crystal Onix!" Ash said quickly.

"What? I always thought that it's only a myth!" May said with disbelief.

"It's not!" Ash explained hectically. "I already met one on Sunburst Island, but I thought that it was a unique case."

Obviously, it wasn't and the Crystal Onix already aimed for the two invaders that disturbed him within its home. Once again, Onix threw its tail towards Ash, but the trainer could avoid it. On the other hand, May finally realized that their "two crystals" that Ash found were in reality the last parts of Onix's tail.

"Ash, I think that you hurt Onix with your attempt to separate the crystals!" May yelled.

Ash felt bad that he hurt the Pokemon.

"Onix, I'm sorry that I hurt you and we didn't intend to invade your home - - -" Ash tried to explain, but the crystal Pokemon didn't listen.

More and more, Onix cornered the two teens into the other half of cave.

"What should we do, Ash?" May explained nervously.

" ... I don't know, honestly ... The pressure of the waterfall would squash us and the steam doesn't allow us to swim back ..." Ash stepped several steps to the back. "Moreover, we don't know how to reach the opening up there ..."

"Please Onix, we - -" May said sweetly, but the large snake Pokemon already attacked again.

May covered her head, thinking that she would be smashed against the wall. However, Onix stopped when a stone hit its head, catching his attention. The large Pokemon turned to Ash and the raven-haired trainer waved with his arms.

"HEY! ONIX, IT WAS ME WHO HIT YOUR TAIL!" Ash yelled.

Immediately, Onix dashed to Ash and the trainer lured the Pokemon away from May.

"Ash, what do you think you're doing?" May said, being panic-struck.

"I'll distract Onix and you need to climb the wall until you reach the opening!" Ash yelled, using a zigzag way to avoid Onix's attacks.

"It's too high for me, Ash and I don't let you alone!" May said sternly, yet fearfully.

"It's the only way and if you reach the opening, you can notify Butterfree and our other Pokemon!" Ash explained, although he started to pant slightly with Onix attacking him endlessly.

"What if you get hurt?" May refused to run away.

"May, I'll be fine and you can help me the most when you get our Pokemon!" Ash said hectically.