Chapter 16 Where it all began.

*(Melanie may be in the coffin but while she's in there she will relive her memories. as the others will try to find her. Also changed something.... She meet Kol after her father died so if you get confused!)

1864 Ballroom

I walked over seeing Brother stare at Stefan and Katherine dancing. I rolled my eyes "You know staring is not pleasant." I saw Damon look at me smiling.

"Well, if it isn't my lovely sister Melanie." Damon kissed my hand.

"If you keep doing that, maybe you will catch Miss Pierce's attention." I smiled then saw him smile. I pulled his hand. "Come, dance with me." We started dancing palm facing palm.

"Melanie, I quiet feel we are grabbing attention." He looked over at the group of boys my age. I rolled my eyes.

"I rather have my handsome brother any day than some boys that are just after my looks." I smiled wide.

"I quiet say you did take mother's beauty. It's as if she bewitched your body." He smiled.

"I take that as a complicate." The music died down for partners to slow dance with their lovers. I sighed... only Stefan had Katherine. I had no lover. The boys smiled at me waiting to pick one of them.I saw Damon put his elbow out. I smiled and took his elbow and he walked me out to the garden.

"You should have chose one of the boys from the village to be your partner." Damon said then I let go of his elbow and sat at the bench looking at the star. Damon sat next to me.I sighed remembering the time we spent together under the stars just the three of us being a family.

"Do you think we will still stay a family?" I looked at him hoping to lie. I felt the sad empty pit in my gut appear again. Damon shot me a look of worried.

"What make you think that?" Damon said

"Do you remember the promise we made all together?" Damon nodded still looking at me then I looked at the sky looking for Mother's star. "You and brother are drifting away." I looked at him almost teary from my own words. Damon clenched his teeth then spoke.

"I promise on my life, we wont drift away." Damon grabbed my hands squeezing it tighter. "I promise to always stay a family. I wont hurt you." I looked at him then I found mother's star.

"Mother's always looking out for us... isn't she?" I said. Damon nodded

1864 the night of the Ball in Melanie's room.

I combed my hair. I looked into the large mirror and looked back down. How can Damon have all the answers... what if we were seprated... I was scared by that thought and pulled myself to keep combing my long aurburn hair like Stefans. I heard screaming and yeling and thuds. I got up opening my door to see Father yelling at Damon and Katherine being carried by many men with something caging her mouth. I was scared. "Father what's going on?!" I saw Father angry face soften walking over to me. I looked at damon still up against the wall frozen in place. Father put his hands on my shoulder trying to say the words. "What's going on? You' are scaring me." I was trembling.

"Sweetie, go to sleep. I'll tell you tomorrow. "

"No... tell me." I said holding onto the necklace of mother.

"nothing... go to sleep."

"No... I am tired of your lies. Please tell me I'm a young girl that needs to know the truth." i stood my ground.