༺Chapter 26༻

4:52 pm

*Sigh*

Aiko wipes the bead of sweat that formed on her forehead away before plopping her bottom down on the matted floor.

"Well, that's the last one," she huffs out, eyes scanning the new room around her, now filled with boxes and a couple pieces of furniture.

Taking a few seconds to muster up the energy, the silver-haired female finally regains her standing position. Raising her arms above her head to stretch out all her sore muscles.

'I gotta ask Maou where the bathhouse is...'

Right as she was ready to go to his home, a magazine in a pile of mail she collected before leaving her former residence caught her eye.

Walking to the small table beside the front door, Aiko slowly it up. On the cover was a beautiful, brightly colored lit tree with an even brighter white star atop it.

The headline read something about people celebrating the holiday of Christmas in the west.

As if a lightbulb illuminated above the girl's head, she quickly reaches into her pocket in search of her phone.

After finally finding it, Aiko wastes no time in dialing up her coworker's number.

*Ring*

........

*Ring*

........

*Rin-*

"Hello?"

"Shiori, hey..."

"Aiko! Hey, what's up?"

"Um, I was just wondering if you were still at the shop, by any chance?"

"Yeah, I'm stuck here for about another hour, why?"

"Well, can you do me a favor and check to see if we have a certain plant in stock?"

"'Course! Whaddya looking for?"

6:27 pm

As the evening sky faded away, the pink and orange hues were replaced with swirls of dark blue and pitch black. Luminous speckled dots littered the night's sky in their arbitrary, but specific, pattern.

'The sun sets a lot earlier in the winter...'

*Click*

"Oh, uh, thank you, Miss," Aiko nods with a smile in the nurse's direction after she opens the door for her to the patient room, pulling her from her thoughts.

Walking fully into the room the silver-haired female saunters over to the bedside table beside the well kept, hospital bed.

"Hey, Hara..." She speaks softly after hearing the door close behind her, "I brought you something."

Placing what she had been holding down on the wooden side table, a sad smile graces her features as she glances over at her unconscious love.

"It's called a mini pine bonsai. I thought it would bring some positive energy in here. Also, because it's Christmas Eve, it brings some festivity as well. Call it my gift to you. It was the closest I could get to an actual pine tree."