Marry Me (Sherlock) PART ONE

"Deirdre's boyfriend proposed to her!" You exclaimed as you entered the living room of 221B.

          Sherlock hummed, not opening her eyes. He was sitting with his hands together in a prayer-like fashion, one leg over the other.

          Rolling your eyes, you made your way over to him until you were standing right in front of him. Patiently, you waited.

          Sherlock's lips quirked into an amused smile and he uncrossed his legs and opened his arms. Smiling, you gently settled yourself into his lap so that your legs were on either side of his hips and your head rested in the curve where his neck and shoulder met. As you settled, Sherlock wrapped his arms around your waist.

          "His proposal was really cute. He had the kids in her kindergarten class write it in chalk on the sidewalk outside their school. You should have seen her reaction," you explained, a smile on your face as you remember helping make sure the kids got the message written before Deirdre's boyfriend (fiancée now) walked her in.

          "I'm sure she was ecstatic," Sherlock replied in a monotone voice.

          "I honestly don't know who looked happier, the kids or Deirdre," you continued, still a little happy on the cute moment you witnessed.

          You could almost hear Sherlock rolling his eyes as he said, "Since it was your friend having the life-changing moment and the children have yet to fully grasp the meaning behind a marriage proposal, I doubt the children were happier."

          Normally you would have a witty comeback to your significant other's statement, but your mind had wandered to a moment after the proposal. You remember the little kid, Marie, asking, "So when are you getting married?"

          You knew Sherlock didn't seem the marrying type, what with how it took you forever for him to understand that love wasn't a disadvantage and to let you into his life as someone special. And you knew that you should be grateful that Sherlock even looked at you, with how you knew he could have had anyone else.

          But it still didn't stop the hope inside you that he would one day propose to you...

          Not to say that you were ready to pop the question to him! You did love the consulting detective, but marriage was a big step in life, and you didn't want to talk about marriage just because you witnessed a proposal.

          Plus the time just...didn't feel right.

          You remember asking your (parent/guardian) about it when you were curious, and they responded with, "It will happen when you both are ready and you realize the moment is right. There is no way to know specifically when that will happen. You will just know that someday you'll think, 'I love this person and I want to marry them. There's no doubt about it.'"

          "Stop thinking so hard. It's annoying," Sherlock interrupted your thoughts.

          You let out a single laugh and jokingly said, "Sorry, I'll try to tone it down." There was a moment of silence before Sherlock spoke.

          "I'm not going to ask you."

          Your head jerked back as you took in what he said. After spending an enormous amount of time with the genius, you knew that he had figured out what you were thinking. You felt a wave of despair in your heart at his words and couldn't stop yourself from asking, "Why?"

          Sherlock simply replied, "Because you're going to ask me."

          You frowned, confused, "Huh?"