12x09 - First Blood

Diner

Mary is sitting alone stirring her coffee when her phone rings "Castiel?"

Castiel is now standing in the parking lot facing the building where Sam and Dean had been arrested. "Mary, where are you?"

"I – I, uh...Lawrence, Kansas. Cas, what's wrong?"

"Uh...well, I – I need you to meet me at the bunker" Cas hangs up and sighs, turning from the motel and walking away alone.

**********

Bunker

Mary and Castiel stands at opposite ends of the map table. "You left them"

"No, I...Dean told me to go. The woman—"

"The one you lost?" Mary asks.

"I didn't. I...I thought that she—"

"Stop making excuses" Cas looks down, and Mary sighs heavily "Why...if they need help, why didn't they call me?"

if they need help, why didn't they call me?"

"You were out"

Mary sighs "How did we let this happen, Castiel?"

**********

Bar

A fancy drink with an umbrella, fruit slices and a pitchfork is picked up from a table by Crowley. "Can't help you" he tells Cas, who sits across the table.

"Come on, Crowley. The police took them. You have people in the government. You have spies"

"I do. But whatever's happened to Moose and Squirrel, apparently, it's above their pay grade"

"Do you even care that they're gone?" She asks him.

"No. Do you know how many all-powerful beings have tried to kill them?"

"Roughly, yes"

"As do I. I was bloody one of them. Sam and Dean? They're like herpes. Just when you think they're gone...hello! The boys are back, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. So wherever they are, whoever has Sam and Dean, well...In the immortal words of Lawrence Tureaud...I pity the fool" Crowley gets up, pats Cas on the shoulder in a strangely reassuring fashion, and leaves Cas glaring after him.

**********

Another Bar

"Thanks for meeting me. I just wanted to say" Mary clears her throat "I'm sorry. I was angry, and...Sam and Dean, that's not your fault"

"No, you were right. I should never have left them. I...have you heard anything?" Cas asks her.

"All my law enforcement contacts are retired, or...dead" She sighs "I'm trying, but...you?"

Castiel shakes her head.

"I keep telling myself they're fine. They've only been gone—"

"Six weeks, two days and ten hours" Castiel tells her.