5

---Narrator Emma---

        Emma wakes up in a white room. She hears the doctor talking to her mother. "She has thirty-six stitches in her leg, if she moves too much they'll split, so we'll need her to stay in the hospital until they heal enough" She hears the doctor say. Her mother makes a choking sound, she's crying. Emma opens her eyes a little to see her mother sitting in a chair, with a police officer next to her. The doctor is standing near the door. She turns her head slightly to look at them. "M-mom?" She whimpers. "Emma" The cop butts in. "We need to talk about the man" he says. Emma gulps.

        "Well, I was sleeping. And then I woke up because Nala broke my glass figuring collection, so I went to clean it up after turning on my bedroom light." Emma says, watching the cop take notes.

"And what light did you turn on?" He asks. 

        "I turned on the big light, not my lamp. But then mom came in and told me that she would clean it later then she turned off the big light. But I couldn't sleep because my heart was racing, so I turned on my lamp. My leg was hanging off the side of the bed and I didn't have the covers on. I saw that my window was open even though I didn't open it. But I thought that I just forgot to close it or something. I was going to get up, but he grabbed my ankle and yanked me under the bed" She squeaks.

The officer nods. Frowning as he writes down what she says. "And what happened after that?" He asks.

        "Well I was going to scream, but he covered my mouth and he had a knife to my neck. He held me down. I was so scared I started to cry. So I kicked him and bit his hand. He let go so I crawled out quickly and grabbed my bat. But he crawled out too and was blocking the door." Emma says shaking with fear.

"Why didn't you scream for help once you were free?" The officer asks.

        Emma thinks for a moment, then speaks. "Because, he was blocking the door. And he was armed. If my mom opened the door because of me screaming, he could have easily turned and hurt her." 

"Its sounds like you had some time to think about your options" The cop says, taking more notes.

        Emma nods, then keeps speaking. "Yes, I did. He just kind of stood there, waiting for me to make the first move. Every couples seconds he'd scoot a little closer though. I did't know what to do. So thought about my options,  I clutched the bat tighter, and then suddenly he lunged. So I swung the bat and barely missed his arm. When he was caught off guard I ran for the door. Before I could get to it though he swung the knife and sliced my arm" She says signalling to her stitched and bandaged arm.

The police officer frowns, not believing her story.

        "I was frozen, he started to walk towards me so I swung the bat and hit him in the face. He ran into the wall. So I took the opportunity to scream for help while giving him a good few hits. Mom came running in to see him, she took the bat from me and told me to call the police. So I ran downstairs and called, but I got worried and went back upstairs to see mom was backed into the corner and the bat was on the floor, out of reach. I acted on instinct and jumped on him, wrapping my arms around his neck making him choke like you see in the wrestling shows. I was clawing at his face while trying to stay on his back, mom had grabbed the bat, but I think she was too afraid to swing for the sake of hitting me instead. He swung his knife and got me in the leg. I was screaming for him to stay away from my mom. I dug my nails into his throat too. I fell onto the ground when his knife jabbed my leg, and the police sirens were wailing. He jumped out the window." She finishes.

"But that's a two story drop" The officer frowns.

"There's a branch that is really sturdy." Emma says.

"What did he look like?" The cop asks.

"Well, he had black hair, and his skin looked like it had been bleached. It was paper white. And the smile, I will never forget his smile. It was carved from ear to ear, and all bloody, it looked like he had opened it back up quite a few times. It was scary. And he never blinked, its was like he had no eyelids. He was tall, like 6'3 and looked to be about 160 to 170 pounds." Emma describes, remembering what he looked like very distinctly. The officer nods again. "Well I'll look into it, but from now on I'd like you to stay safe, we'll have squad cars patrolling the neighborhood from now on." The officer gives her a very fake looking smile and leaves. "Douche..." Emma hears her mother mumble. Emma looks over at her. "Emma, go back to bed okay? I'll stay up and watch over you" she whispers. Emma bites her lip, but nods falling into a deep sleep.