Part 14 - Berkeley: Recovery

Berkeley POV

Finally, the nurse lets the girls and I into Alex's room. It has been about three hours since the incident, but Alex is recovering quickly. Alex is tired looking, but other than that she seems almost perfect. If I didn't know about the what happened to her, I wouldn't know that she had just drowned.

"How are you holding up, girl?" Briar asks her.

"Meh." She says.

"I'm just glad that we found you when we did, otherwise it could've been much worse." Briar tells us all, and we nod in agreement.

"You should've left me there." Alex explains. "You should've let me die."

"Don't say that." Dylan orders, gently.

"I'm sorry, but I can't help but feel this way." Alex tells us.

"Why do you feel like this?" I ask, even though I think I know the answer.

"Why do you think? Lamar and Shelby, of course." Alex says, in a duh kind of tone.

"Have you thought about trying to make peace with Lamar, or trying to fix things between the two of you?" I suggest.

"I've thought about it ..." Alex starts. "I just feel so betrayed."

"I'm sure you could fix things somehow. I mean, I thought you two would be together forever. You could forgive him, couldn't you?" Dylan asks her, clearly unsure of herself.

"You don't understand. Nothing hurts more than being betrayed by the one person you thought would never hurt you." Alex says, tearing up a little.

We all go silent after that. It's not awkward nor is it comfortable. We are all saddened and for a moment its like we can feel Alex's pain. But overall, she is right. We don't understand at all. Every single one of us have boyfriends that have been with us for years now. They haven't cheated on us. They haven't hurt us. They didn't betray. They didn't lie to us either. We don't understand and we never will until the moment we get hurt the same way Alex was.