New Years Eve Is Evil

|Chapter 1|

My three best friends and I downed a shot of vodka. We winced slightly as the burning liquid drained down our esophagus but I think most of us were more used to vodka than soda. We slammed our glasses down in unison, laughing for no apparant reason.

Jess, holding a pint of whiskey in her hands smiled mischeviously, "So who's it gonna be girls?"

We all glanced around the crowd once more, as to make sure our pick was perfect because once you pointed them out, you couldn't take it back.

No one spoke, so Jess did, "I pick that girl with the pink hair over there." We all looked at the girl- she was cute, definitely Jess' type, looking rebellious but sweet.

Kylie squinted her brown eyes behind black, square framed glasses, "Are you sure she's even gay?"

Jess rolled her eyes, "She has pink hair for Christ's sake."

Kylie shrugged, "Doesn't mean she's gay."

Jess sighed, "Stop killing my vibe, bitch. I'm going to try anyways."

Ally changed the subject, "I pick that tall, brown haired guy wearing the grey sweater. He has perfect lips."

I agreed, "He's hot."

Jess glanced at me, biting the tip of her whiskey bottle. If I hadn't known Jess since pre-school, I might've been intimidated by how she looked. She had mysterious green eyes incased in black eyeliner and smudged red lipstick, several tattoos, an eyebrow piercing, and black combat boots. Her appearance practically screamed out danger to any normal stranger but I knew she wasn't as dangerous as she liked to put on.

Jess smirked, "What about you, princess?"

My face instantly tightened up at her annoying nickname but I ignored it and found my pick in the crowd, "I pick that blonde haired guy with the amazing jawline, wearing khakis."

Jess shook her head, "That guy looks like he has a stick shoved up his ass, total pansy, you always go for guys with no balls."

I sighed, "Jess, do you always have to be a critic? Just let me do what I want."

Jess put her hands up, "Hey, hey, I'm just trying to help you out here. Those guys never work out for you."

Ally defended me, "It's just a kiss, Jess. It's not like we're looking for love."

Jess muttered, "Alright, alright. What about you Kylie?"

Kylie was the cutest, little japanese girl. She had long, black hair with straight across bangs that actually suited her. She never wore makeup and always looked pretty but tonight she had some shimmery, grey eyeshadow on that looked perfect with her tight, black dress.

Kylie shyly said, "Um, that middle eastern looking guy with the moustache, beard thingy."

Ally smiled, "Aw, he's perfect for you, babe."

Jess cleared her throat, "Alright, we have five more minutes until the ball drops. Shall we get more drunk?"
We all cheered to that and poured us some more shots.

We did this every New Year's Eve, we'd get drunk at some party and we'd each pick out someone to kiss for when the ball dropped, because we all unfortunately happened to be single for the past 3 years on New Year's Eve. But it was exciting; some of the kisses were amazing, others not so much but kissing strangers is never boring and plus, you hardly ever got rejected because everyone wanted someone to kiss when the countdown ends.

We all continued to drink and look around, but secretly keeping a watchful eye on our kissing partner. Ally had the bad luck of losing her kissing partner one year and ending up alone, so we tried to make sure that didn't happen again.

We make it sound like this kissing tradition is a huge deal, it's not really but it's tradition and we're not big fans of fucking up tradition.

The party was in some popular guy's apartment, Jess had somehow gotten invited to it because the rest of us were far too lame on the social pyramid to be invited. But it was a nice apartment- roomy, definitely expensive. It had gorgeous chandeliers, fancy paintings on the white walls and not to mention the large glass window that overlooked the beautiful city of Pittsburgh. Jess had mentioned the guy's name who owned it but it was escaping me at the moment.

Someone yelled out, "2 minutes!"
We all looked at the giant flat screen TV to see the person was correct. It was almost time!

My friends and I stood up; reapplying lip gloss, checking our hair. Getting rejected was not on our to-do list tonight.

Once the clock hit 60 seconds, everyone in the apartment started counting loudly and we scattered to get near our kissing partners. Once I was near the cute, blondie, I began counting out loud.

"10!....9!......8!.....7!..."

I couldn't help but get butterflies, this moment was so nerve-wracking. What if he yelled at me? What if he had a girlfriend? There was always something that could go wrong.

"4!....3!.....2!..."

Oh god, here we go.
I turned toward him, taking a deep breath.
"1!"

The whole apartment erupted in screams by the people not kissing.
I took a step toward the guy but he turned his back toward me and...began making out with some brunette.

FUCK ME.

I barely had time to give myself a pity party before someone grabbed my arm, spun me around and planted their lips against mine.

Wow, this had never happened before. I didn't kiss back for a second because I was trying to see if the person was attractive. He was...definitely attractive.

I began kissing him back. His lips were big, very big and soft and nice. He was tall but I grabbed the back of his neck and pushed his body closer to mine. His hands drifted down to my waist and he respectively didn't go any lower. He sucked on my bottom lip and I let out a small moan of enjoyment.
I could hear everyone around us getting louder as if the kissing moment was over but I didn't want ours to be over and I guess neither did he, because we kept going.

I wasn't sure how much longer we kissed, it could've been five minutes or thirty seconds but however long, it wasn't long enough. He pulled back, smiling from ear to ear. His smile was perfect; straight, white teeth standing out against his dark skin.

Oh, he was black, that just now registered to me. Had I ever kissed a black guy before? I tried to remember a time where I had kissed anyone other than white but I couldn't. It wasn't a bad thing, of course, just something I hadn't experienced. I liked it.

The guy kept smiling at me, "That was exceptional, I must say."

My cheeks immediately heated up. Jesus, I never blushed, what was this guy doing to me? I nervously giggled. Fuck, I was acting like such a thirteen year old girl right now.

The guy stuck out his hand for me to shake, "I'm Carter Sanders."

I froze, barely being able to breathe.

Carter Sanders.

The Carter Sanders.

The guy who owned this apartment, the most popular and most lusted after guy by every girl at our college. Carter Sanders had just kissed me!

I stumbled, trying to find my words, "I...um.. I'm Phoenix."

Carter bit his bottom lip and I stared a little too long. "It was a pleasure kissing you, Phoenix. Have a good night."

Carter gave me one last look before turning around and disappearing into a crowd of people.

Ally appeared at my side, "So how did it go with blondie?"

Who?