Chapter 18

Rising Fear

A huge commotion broke into the whole room as the horrible news was told, students started rambling to each other in fear.

"The end is near!" A giraffe cried, making more of the students panic. My ears laid back and I cringed at how noisy it got, Jake and Izzy covered their ears. The healer broke the news to all of us, her eyes were bloodshot and showed tiredness.

"Please, jammers, do not panic.." She tried to calm them down, but the jammers looked at her in disbelief.

"What if we all die?!" A crocodile yelled, his friends agreed. "Will you not do anything?!"

"We're trying to find out where the Corruptors are now, but the only good news is that they didn't reach this part of Jamaa.." The healer sighed, obviously exhausted.

"When will they reach our part of Jamaa?" Vivian asked, she was in front so she could be heard without yelling.

"We don't know. All we know is that the Corruptors will be here soon, we advise you to be prepared." Ms. Jakarie said, her eyes gazing over the jammers.

"But.. without the Corruptor Protectors, we're vulnerable!" Ash cried, making a small commotion between jammers. "How will me fight them off?"

"We've trained you all for weeks, some even years, we believe that your powers can only kill weak or sick Corruptors. As for us, we'll protect you all from the stronger ones." Sir Viz said, the jammers murmured amongst each other. My necklace started glowing again, but I gave it little attention.

"What about our Final Exams?" Trike asked, raising a paw.

"We'll have to postpone them.. for now." The healer said tiredly.

"What will we all do?" A Special Protector jammer asked.

"Practice your magic, and stay alert, we don't know when they'll strike but.." Sir Landon paused, "It's best you all at least have something to defend yourselves in case they do come." He finished.

The jammers went silent, all seemed to be in deep thought. I, myself, am in deep thought. What might happen?

Don't worry, Swift. This will be over soon. Jake said through our link.

"All of you, dismiss, practice when you still can." Ms. Jakarie said, "But.. those jammers who are called, stay." She added. "Kyle.. Jake... Izzy.. Swift.. Isabela.. Denver.. and, Vivian..."

All seven of us were nearby, so we looked at each other and walked forward. The rest of the jammers walked out with silent murmurs and whispers amongst each other.

"You seven.." Sir Viz started, looking at us. "Are chosen to go on important duties. It's meant for our safety." He said.

"What is there to do, sir?" Izzy asked.

"Izzy, you and Kyle will call all available Protectors to keep guard around the borders. Take shifts if you have to." Izzy and Kyle nodded, without glancing at each other once. Sir Viz looked at Jake, "Jake, you, Swift, Isabela and Vivian will be going inside the portal to a temple. You will scout the area for any signs of Corruptors." We nodded.

"What will I do, sir?" Denver asked.

"You will rally your fellow guards to join the Protectors around the border, keep an eye on the jammers as well." Sir Viz said. Denver nodded. "Are we clear?" He asked, sternly.

"Yes, sir." We all said, nodding.

"Good. Now, go do your duties. We don't have much time to do them." Sir Landon said. We all separated from each other to do our duties.

"Are the Corruptors evil?" I asked Jake.

"For my years of staying here, I've only been told about the Corruptors by an old friend." He said quietly, ears drooling a little. "He was a high ranking Protector, one who goes face to face with Corruptors themselves."

"Really?" I asked, surprised. "What are the Corruptors exactly?"

"They're black or dark grey, evil creatures, they know dark magic, which is basically any corrupted magic.They corrupt jammers and worlds for years, if it weren't for Mira and the early masters of magic, Jamaa would have been destroyed and the Corruptors would not have been banished. As for the Protectors, they trained intensely, almost every day."

Jake added, "My friend's name was Thunder, he was the bravest friend I had back then, but he suddenly disappeared with the other Protectors long ago. Now that we don't have a single decent one, we're vulnerable." He said sadly.

"We'll get through this, I know that." I said, trying to reassure him. He smiled a little then looked forward.

We all stood before a green portal, Vivian flicked her tail. "You guys ready?" She asked quietly.

We nodded at her. Then that's when we jumped in..

...

Cold, stone tiles surrounded the temple floor, along with scattered ruins here and there, and some broken antiques. We all decided to partner up, me and and Jake, then Isabela and Vivian. Vivian was able to make us all mind linked so that we could check on each other constantly.

Me and Jake took the north side, while they took the opposite.

A lush, green forest surrounded us. It was eerily quiet, I somehow felt uneasy. But Jake said nothing at all. My necklace glowed once again with my wristband, I felt tingly.

Found anything? I heard Vivian ask.

No, it's eerily quiet here.. I replied.

Okay then, tell us when you find something.. Vivian said and left the link.

Me and Jake heard some noise to our left, we looked at each other suspiciously and went to investigate. We walked quietly and peeked above the bushes, we saw broken and burnt branches and burnt grass making a path.

"Could fire elemental be here?" I asked quietly.

"No, this is now a restricted area to those who don't have an important job like us." Jake replied, we both stepped towards the burnt nature slowly. Jake squinted his eyes and sparks came from his paws to the burnt grass, then back. His eyes widened. "Oh no..."

"What? What is it?" I asked, slightly panicked. Jake gulped, then we heard scary, low growling in front of us. "Jake..?" I whispered, stepping back in fear at the dark creature before us. It bared it's teeth at us, threateningly.

JAKE? I yelled in the mind link.

CORRUPTOR! RUN! He yelled and we ran for our lives.

To Be Continued...