Chapter 34

The War Rages On

Author's POV

Hunter crashed into debris as he tried to fight off Hakiro, he groaned in pain as he tried getting back up again. The other animals couldn't do much since they were all pretty injured and fatigued, but they couldn't just let Hunter get hurt. Even if some of them despise him.

"We have to help him in some way." Jake said to the others. "I may not like him, but he's a jammer too." Jake added, everyone else nodded quietly, Jake glanced at Swift again, feeling his heart clenching at how lifeless she was.

"But how can we help him?" Kyle asked, "Hakiro's too strong, he has the power of almost every Gem, except the Water Gem." Kyle explained, some of them already starting to doubt any hope, "Maybe all we could do is protect the Water Gem.."

"That's not a bad idea.." Izzy spoke softly, "But what will we do if it gets taken?" She asked, nobody answered, verbally at least. Their eyes are already saying it's the end, so Izzy's ears went down and she trembled. "I-It was a great life.." She stuttered, Jake rushed to her side and comforted her, "A-All the people I have k-known.."

"Izzy.." Jake trailed, trying to stop her from crying.

"I-I'm scared.." Izzy sobbed, covering her face and letting her tail wrap around her shaking body. "I-I don't w-wanna leave so soon.." Jake's ears went back and he hugged Izzy, in an attempt to comfort her. Izzy sobbed quietly, everyone felt scared and worried as well, Kyle scanned over the surroundings.

The buildings were destroyed, the grounds were cracked and broken, Mira's statue was cracked and shattered, the plants were dead, and the sky was already turning orange. It was almost night time. They've been fighting for almost the whole day, and yet.. they couldn't stop it. Kyle sighed, both in exhaustion and loss of hope. At least.. we gave it our all.. He thought sadly, reminiscing memories.

Hunter suddenly crashed into where they are and he was groaning, he had fresh scars and bruises around his body but he stood up stubbornly. Growling at his father, his eyes and paws glowed faintly with all the energy and strength he has left. Hakiro had bruises as well, but they weren't as bad as Hunter's. Throughout the time the Queen was just in the sky, recruiting some of her subjects that survived and didn't move.

Hunter panted heavily, his body aching and chest heaving heavily. "Y-You.." He panted, Hakiro looked displeased, "Y-You can never.. get your paws.. on that Gem.." He finished, narrowing his eyes. Hakiro chuckled bitterly.

"Oh, I'll do anything to get it, even if it means killing you." Hakiro said, smiling darkly.

He's willing to kill Hunter?! Jake thought, surprised and in disbelief. Shoot..

"This is your last chance, give up the Gem, and I might consider sparing your lives once I finish my job." Hakiro said, looking slightly tired. Nobody said anything or moved, everyone just stared at Hakiro silently, not wanting to give up the Gem. "...Alright, then. I guess I'll have to kill all of you for that."

Meanwhile...

The Spirit World was a huge underground world that nobody else knew existed, it was a bright place, with crystals illuminating it's corners and giving the cave life. Swift walked silently beside her grandmother, her head hung low but she was facing up, she couldn't shake off her uneasy feeling that her friends and family weren't safe at all. But she kept quiet, Kira's tail wrapped around Swift to reassure her that she's alright.

"Whoa.." Swift said in awe of the huge place. Kira chuckled.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Kira asked, "When I found this place, I didn't even believe it was real, it was just so beautiful and mesmerizing." Kira said, right now they were walking down, a huge waterfall was at the center of the cave, surrounded by cherry blossoms and bright crystals.