Chapter 21

We Need To Talk

Meanwhile...

Izzy's POV

"I'll take the shift from here." I said softly to my Protector companion, his name's Drake, he's been a loyal friend of mine since my Protector training. He had brown fur, almost similar to mine, with white spots around it, he wore a green Special Protector headdress along with his mismatched blue scarf and green elf tail. His blue eyes had uncertainty, but nodded hesitantly.

"Okay then, Iz. But aren't you and.. er.. that guy both taking shifts..?" Drake said nervously, he was talking about Kyle. He knew I was sensitive still about the topic, so he's always nervous when he mentions him. I froze a little then shrugged.

"It's fine, really. You can rest for now, I'll call you for another shift tomorrow." I said, it was half the truth, but I didn't want him to worry. Drake went closer and whispered.

"Call me if things go ugly. I'll beat him to a pulp." I snorted a little at him, he was always like this since after my breakup.

"Okay, Drake. Go rest, you deserve it." I laughed a little, he rolled his eyes a little and muttered 'I'd rather stay awake than leave you with that dork.' Typical Drake.. When he was gone, I sighed out loudly, feeling heavy in my chest.

I heard Kyle's voice in the distance, he just told another Protector to rest for tonight. My back fur just rose a little, as I was hearing his paw steps coming closer. I kept my posture and tail up high, ignoring his presence, though the air between us was still tense and uneasy.

"Izzy." Kyle spoke up, I looked at him in the corner of my eye then said nothing. "Izzy, we need to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about." I said simply. My tail flicking to the side, I heard his annoyed sigh before he spoke again.

"Are you seriously still dwelling on the past?" He hissed, I gave a shrug. "Don't act casual, I know that deep inside you're-" I cut him off furiously.

"That I'm what? Desperate? Angry? Still.. heartbroken?" I growled, standing up. He stepped back a little then glared. "It's your fault we broke up, you're with her now! Why would you still talk to me?!" I shouted, my voice echoing in the empty hallway.

"You think I wanted this?! I only became her boyfriend because-"

"Because what?! Because I'm not good enough for you? Because-" Kyle suddenly stomped on the ground loudly, he was panting heavily and he was seething.

"Let me finish! I only became her boyfriend because I was.. forced to." Kyle said in a softer voice, but he was still holding in some anger. My eyes widened a little. "Her parents and my parents had a business, they wanted me and her to become married soon for their own sake."

He added, "I didn't like it, I was furious, but I kept my mouth shut to them. So I was just trying to be nice to her, Laika's mean because her parents never really paid attention to her happiness, they made their own decisions that Laika had to suck up and go with. I'm the only one she could really talk to. Now.. you understand..?" Kyle exhaled out. My brain couldn't process everything at once, so... he's just.. plastic towards her..?

Wait, what if he's fooling me again? Making me fall for him? Heck no am I going to suffer another heartbreak I thought furiously. Kyle stepped closer.

"Izzy, everything I did in the past was only for my parents and her parents' own happiness, if I rejected Laika, her family would destroy our business. Just.. please. understand me and her." He said, looking at me, I looked back at him. My brain was saying yes, but my heart said the opposite. He's playing another trick on me.

"I'd rather we be civil than us being distant and cold towards each other." Kyle said, he actually sounded honest. He lent out a paw to me, "So... friends..?"

My body trembled a little, I was almost going to accept, but I shook my head slowly with tears forming. "No, Kyle. It's too late for us to be civil. You waited like what, a few months to tell me all that?" I said, unamused. His ears go down a little and regret was flashing in his orange eyes.

He opened his mouth to speak but I held my paw up, "I don't wanna hear it, it's really just too late for us, Kyle. Plus, if Laika caught you with me, she'd tell her parents and they'll ruin your business. You should be thankful I wouldn't say yes." I finished.

The sadness in Kyle's eyes suddenly vanished and anger replaced it, he said. "Is it really too late? Or are you just the same old stubborn Izzy that doesn't think about the present but rather the past?" I gulped a little at his dark tone, "Think about what you said. Before, you told me to not dwell on the past forever, but do you, yourself, take that advice?"

Those were his last words before he walked away silently. I was left frozen in place, when I processed everything he said, I suddenly broke down and cried because it was too late for me to realize it was all true. I am actually the same old stubborn Izzy who keeps dwelling on the past, I actually wanted us to be civil..

I'm such a dumb fox for realizing this all too late..

To Be Continued...

Sorry for the long wait. Now you know the true reason behind their breakup, will they ever become civil? This was set after Swift, Jake, Vivian and Isabella found Kiki and they're in the cave.