Chapter 33

Tough Luck

Author's POV

"After all these years.." Hakiro started, looking in awe at the Water Gem. Swift's ears laid back in nervousness, she clutched her necklace a little and stepped back as Hakiro took another step. "All those searches.." Hakiro continued, "All the time I spent looking for it.." He stopped and stared at all of them, "It was with you all along.."

Jake stepped forward, blocking Hakiro's view of Swift. "Yeah, if you're gonna get it you're gonna have to get through me." He growled, his eyes and paws glowing yellow with small sparks. Izzy followed and soon enough everyone was in a protective circle around Swift, Swift closed and locked her necklace and was determined to protect the Gem at all times. Hakiro scowled.

Edit (5 - 10 - 19): (Edited the paragraph before this.)

"You are no match for me. And you're outnumbered." Hakiro smirked and gestured to the Queen, she made a loud screech and the Corruptor from the sky descended and stayed a few meters from the ground, awaiting further orders. "Now," He started, "Give me the Gem, and I might spare your lives.."

"Never." Swift growled, "You're messing with the wrong animals here." She added and got defensive, everyone prepared for the worst as Hakiro turned away and then nodded to the Queen. The Queen made another loud screech and the Corruptors started descending further, "Stay sharp, guys." Swift murmured.

Hakiro chuckled, and just flew to the sky with the Queen and watched another fight unfold.

...

Since everyone's previous fights, they were losing energy pretty fast, but they had to keep going. Several corpses of Corruptors laid dead, but there are multiple groups left that didn't want to fail their Queen, the Queen's eyes narrowed each time some of her subjects were killed but she kept quiet. Everyone kept Swift a priority and so far the Gem was safe, until...

A Corruptor lunged towards Jake and he was tackled to the ground, he kept the Corruptor's jaws away as best as he could and more surrounded him, venom was slowly dripping from the sides and he fears his paws will disintegrate. Swift noticed and run towards Jake, she tackled the Corruptor and then killed it along with the others. "Are you okay?" She asked Jake, Jake exhaled in relief.

"Yeah, thanks.." Jake smiled, Swift returned it and they battled again. Combinations were used, and every possible method to mow down several Corruptors. But Hakiro's been making it more difficult, by trying to shoot down the persistent animals, and unfortunately, Izzy got hit in the leg.

"IZZY!" Jake, Swift, Kyle and Hunter exclaimed in panic. Jake got cornered, Kyle got tackled, Hunter tried but Hakiro trapped him in a rock trap using the Earth Gem, leaving Swift dodging Corruptors and magic bolts. Swift's heart was pounding when Hakiro aimed his paw at Izzy, and the Gems glowed.

NO! Swift panicked and ran faster despite her fatigue, IZZY! She screamed in her mind and just as Hakiro shot a magic bolt...

Swift jumped in front of Izzy and took the damage, she felt shocks all over her body and she stood her ground as best as she could, Izzy's eyes grew wide in disbelief and shock. By now, the rest already helped her up, when Hakiro stopped, Swift's body was sparking with electricity and she felt like all her life was drained.

Swift's POV

"Swift! No!" I heard Jake's voice as I almost fell to the ground, he caught me in time, "Swift! Speak to us!" He exclaimed, my eyes were already closing slowly, but I fought them.

"Ja-..-ke..?" I mumbled, my throat really hurt.

"Swift! Stay with us! Please..!" Jake exclaimed desperately, his ears starting to water, Swift smiled weakly and looked over at everyone, observing their reactions. Loki, Jake and Izzy had desperate looks, the teachers were extremely concerned, Laika and Kyle looked worried while looking up once in a while, Vivian and Issa had their ears down, while Hunter was staring angrily at his biological father. "Swift.. P-Please.."