Chapter Twenty-Four: Sweven (Part Two)

She didn't tell anyone of her run-in with Kozel, it would only add more tension. Millicent slipped quietly into Dana's room, careful not to slam the door. All around her the walls and ceiling shifted in rhythm with the pulse of the galaxy. She saw Eytelis' sleeping form immediately as she walked further into the room. Her eyes then slid to the slumped over figure resting beside the bed.

One brown, tired eye opened, watching her quiet approach. Dana sat up, her hand still wrapped around the dryad's. "Is something going on?"

Millicent shook her head. "No, we're still in the process of locating the Sword, but that's not why I came, Dana."

"Has she awaken yet?"

Dana shifted, a shadow descending in her gaze. "Briefly, but she quickly fell back asleep. It's as if she's undergoing a heavy burden, magical if I go off of the energy in the room. I've been feeling it too—the tiredness, but it's probably nothing more than lack of sleep." She glanced back up, brown meeting hazel. "Are you here to tell me I should forgive Rosalyn? I don't hate her, Mila ... but there's just something in me right now that can't let go of the idea that maybe if she'd done something a little more maybe Dae would still be with us—with me."

Despite her instincts to tell Dana she was wrong, that no matter what Rosalyn would have done she couldn't have saved Dae, but instead she produced the handmade box from behind her back and offered it to the ginger haired witch.

"No, I didn't come here to tell you any of that. I came here to give you this, it's something I think Dae and Eytelis and all of us would want you to have. Don't ask me why I picked this, but think of this as a gift from Dae, a gift from all of us that we're here."

"And?" Dana gently reached for the box, fingers curling around its edges and stared in wonder.

"And that you can't blame yourself for what happened—you or my sister."

She didn't look up from the box, though she noticed how Dana's shoulders stiffened. "I don't know if I can ever forgive myself, Millicent. Maybe when Eytelis wakes up I can confront some of my demons, but until then I don't think I can. With Lys ... just give me time, I really don't hate her, I love her so much. But—but ..."

Millicent didn't need her to continue, she could feel the storming emotions in Dana without her having to say anything. Her powers were becoming stronger—she was beginning to think it might have something to do with All Hallows Eve fastly approaching—and she could feel Dana's emotions as if she was connected to her through contact. But, she wasn't in contact with her and she had to struggle with untangling Dana's feelings with her own. She knew hugging Dana would make it worse, but she could see the pain her friend was going through.

Millicent wrapped her arms around Dana, bringing her close.

In her ear, she whispered, "The bracelet is the true gift, but I think you'll like the box as well. The shopkeeper called them et auream unam, I think it's befitting." 

Dana's arms were slow to come up, but they did. She returned the hug. Both girls sat quietly, embraced in each others arms, and drowning in their own thoughts. Even though she wanted to ease Dana's feelings, Millicent made more than sure her skin didn't touch hers. She couldn't afford to compromise what she might learn from Kozel.

Dana was the first to pull away. "Thank you, Mila, really.The bracelet is beautiful, it's the exact thing Dae and Eytelis would get me. It's perfect."

She drew back as well. "Whether you believe me or not, Eytelis doesn't blame you. When she wakes up, she'll tell you herself."

Dana smiled wearily. "Keep me updated on what happens."