Chapter Twenty-Seven: Advesperascit (Part Three)

October 30

There was never anything quick about getting ready for the All Hallows Eve Ball. The thinning of the Veil could be felt the instant she wakened, her skin prickling. Emrie Michele had woken with the morning sun muffled by thick curtains pulled over her window, Ezra's arm tucked around her waist, pinning her against him; his other arm cushioned her head, fingers curled in her hair. She had felt the pressure of the Veil recede ever so slightly when she caught Ezra's sleeping face. It was a miracle he was still asleep.

Now—Now, she stood in her room, alone. Well, not truly alone. The rest of her coven had taken residence in her room as they got ready alongside her. Magic spelled her room, creating the space needed for six witches, their familiars, and six ball gowns. It was like an explosion had gone through the room; makeup, gown material, and other accessory assortments covered every bare inch.

Rosalyn stood behind a seated Millicent, weaving her hair into a braided crown to circle her head in dark coils. Through the plait, Rosalyn had woven golden shimmering threads, so when Millicent shifted the light caught and sparkled off the material. Both Octavius sisters wore near similar makeup; shimmering pink-gold eyeshadow, rose colored gloss over their lips, and blush delicately dusted across their cheekbones to match their soft pink colored gowns.

As Millicent rose the blush-pink tulle of her dress settled around her legs, an almost white-pink layer of thin tulle laid over the pink, branches of gold lace spread over the skirt; catching the light as she moved like golden threads in her hair. In the mirror Emrie Michele could see two thick straps rise from the cinched waist to cover her breasts before thinning at her shoulders where the gold branches took over until it switched once more to the pink tulle across her shoulders in an otherwise open back. Millicent looked like a princess as she did a slight twirl, the skirt of her gown flaring.

Rosalyn was holding back tears, watching her sister. "You look stunning, Mila. Mum and dad would be so proud of the beautiful young woman you're growing to become."

Millicent actually looked bashful as she gently nudged Rosalyn. "Please don't get sappy on me—'cause if you start crying then all of us will start crying."

A watery chuckle escaped her and Rosalyn sniffed. "Right, right."

"Could someone help me zip the back?" came Emerson's slightly breathless voice as she struggled in the corner, arms uncomfortably angled behind her back.

Dana clicked her tongue. "Let me."

With practiced ease Dana zipped the back of the white off the shoulder bodice. Along the straight neckline, similar golden thread to Millicent's bordered the almost silk-like material. As Dana drew her hands back, she fluffed the delicate looking fabric of Emerson's sleeves.

"There, you're ready to knock the breath out of Rena." Dana declared, taking a step back.

Emrie Michele stopped to fully appreciate Emerson's gown. The same soft, pale orange of the skirt that flared from her waist matched the same orange accenting the woven embroidered pattern in the center of her bodice as strings of glittering golden-orange-red crystals hung from her waist. From the crystals Emrie Michele's eye was drawn to the gold stitching, in the same design of bodice, trace the hem of her skirt.

"Oh, Emers," Vela sighed dreamily. "You're a vision all on your own."

Blushing scarlet, Emerson waved off their compliments. "Hush, you guys. You're the ones who look stunning!"

A wave of laughter rippled through them as they all preened, each shifting as they admired their handcrafted ball gowns.

Vela tucked a straw strand behind her ear that had escaped her simple half-up half-down hairstyle, a golden hairpiece holding the hair together glinting as she looked at herself in the mirror over her shoulder.