10.

BRYSON.

"I found HaKeem. He wasn't hidin' that good, I guess." Kimberly told her brother.

"You always in some shit." Von said, pointin his finger at her.

Kim nodded her head, agreein wit my nigga. I sat back in my chair as my stomach growled. Kim looked over at me.

"You hungry?" She asked me.

"I'a be straight until I get up outta here. Good looks doe." I told her.

A nigga been out since early this mornin' tryna get shit in place to make sure don't shit end up backfirin. That's the last thing niggas need right now. I'm tryna get in, off anybody dat ain't came wit us, grab India and hopefully her nigga, and get up out of there.

Right after we met wit HaKeem, we bussed a few moves, and then came straight to Kimberly's flat. We ain't been here for no more than fifteen minutes.

"You want a salad?" Kim said, ignorin my answer.

"Yeah. Hand me one too." Von sat down at the island.

"One thing I learned from hangin is both of y'all don't listen to shit a nigga say." I said as I took my hat off of my head and sat it on the island in front of me.

"We got shit to handle. Can't nobody be out on the field feelin' nauseous and shit because you refusin to eat. We lookin out." Von said as Kimberly sat his salad in front of him.

"Aye. When we get in dis bitch, Kim, get India and y'all get y'all asses in the car that's gone be ina back. Solid blue whip. I put a glock in the glove compartment earlier so if you need it, use it. Whatever it takes to make sure shorty and her shorty leave that bitch alive." I jumped in the conversation again.

"Why you care so much?" Kimberly asked me.

"The worst thing about dis world is we got niggas out here killin innocent babies. Kids dat ain't never even get to experience life yet. Dat shit ain't right and it'll never sit well wit me." I told her.

"Yeah. I'on rock wit allat extra shit, and I ain't gone start now." Von said, standin up from his chair.

"You headin out?" Kimberly asked her brother.

"Naw. I'm finna go catch up on some z's." Von responded before walkin upstairs.

I got up and walked in the dinin' room. I felt Kimberly followin closely behind me, which made me stop in my tracks.

——
KIMBERLY.

I grabbed my phone, getting up from my kitchen island and following Bryson into the dining room. I looked down at my phone and chuckled as I read Meq's text.

I looked up from my phone as I bumped into Bryson from behind.

"Somethin you checkin' for?" He asked me.

"I was not even payin attention. Don't do that." I rolled my eyes at him as I flopped down on my couch.

We had a few hours until it was time to start putting things into motion. I wouldn't say I'm nervous but this not the shit i'm used to. I'm a hood bitch but I stay out of the street shit, if that makes sense.

"You busy eyeing dis phone," Bryson said, taking my phone out of my hand. He read through a few texts before looking at me, and handing me my phone back.

"Instead of exchanging words wit dawg, you need to be mentally preparin yoself for tonight."

"What's that look for?" I asked him as he sat on the longer part of the couch, that was farthest from where I was sitting.

"You know what's on a nigga's mind. You heard what I said doe?"

"I'm prepared, Bryson. I grew up around dis type of shit. Guns, drugs, prostitution, death, gang bangin—it's nothing new." I told him.

"If a nigga even think about movin' wrong, you might have to squeeze. You ready for it?" Bryson asked me again. I sighed as I looked over at him.

"No, i'm not ready to do no dumb shit like that. I know i'll be ready if I have to be but for now, a bitch is good." I laid back the same time Bryson decided to lay back.

"You stay tryna be like a nigga." Bryson teased.

"You stay tryna' be like me. Let's not get shit twisted, nigga." I said as my ringtone went off.

I looked at my phone to see Prairie trying to facetime me. I answered to her and Jhasi cheesing all in the camera, which made me smile too. I loved my girlies.

"Baby!" Jhasi yelled at me.

"I fucking miss you, where have you been?" Prairie asked me.

"Hangin with the uglies. Speaking of—" I said as Bryson put his head in the camera, blocking my view.

"Heard when a woman feelin a man, she start allat name callin shit Kimberly do. I done seen Jhasi's player ass slip up a few times wit my G, Von." Bryson said, obviously messing with my friends.

Everybody knew Jhasi and Von has a thing, but it's crazy because Jhasi is such a mac. It's not even something she has to work at or try hard to do—it's her personality.

One minute she's all in my brother's face, the next she's acting like they don't have anything going on. Jhasi ass is always quick to hop in another nigga's face too. No offense to my baby, but it's true.

The minute Von fucks up, she's on to the next. But like Bryson said, she's so player about it. It's like she's a nigga in a woman's body.

"Mama asked about you." Prairie told Bryson.

"Don't got none to say to or about her or da situation." Bryson said as he sat back on the couch with my phone still in his hand.

"You a man now?" Jhasi asked, trying to brighten up the now dim mood with jokes.

"You bet ask ya lil homie how much of a man I am." He replied, throwing me my phone in the process of him talking.

"You sick." I heard Prairie say.

"Few things to handle and then we can do movies?" I asked the girls.

"That's fine." Prairie said.

"Be safe, stay out of shit you don't belong in." Jhasi told me before the line disconnected.

"Don't do that." I told Bryson as I threw my phone on the couch and followed him outside.

Bryson looked at me but remained silent. I squinted my eyes. This nigga is so ugh. It's like one minute he's talkative, and the next he's mute—which kind of reminded me of.. myself.

I walked to my car and got in before starting it. Bryson tapped at my window, wanting me to roll it down for him. I pushed the button, letting it down.

"Be here on time." Bryson told me

"Anything else?" I asked.

"Gone head wit that attitude shit, Kimberly." He looked at me in all seriousness.

"Yeah, ok." I simply said, trying to redirect the subject.

I needed to keep my mind on finding India and nothing else. I didn't wanna be the one to fuck anything up or be the reason somebody from our crew had to die. I simply wanted everything to go smooth and then that be that. But I knew better. Nothing was ever that easy.

Bryson nodded his head before I drove off, starting my drive to Prairie's house.