19.

KIMBERLY.

I walked into Roosevelt University and looked around. It's finally time to register for classes. I've been thinking about going to school since my junior year in high school but I wasn't sure.

Since I graduated a few months ago doe, it's only right that I get right back into this shit. Plus, what better way to do it then with my bitches!

"Bitch, we really about to do this college shit, huh?" Jhasi asked me as she stopped in the middle of the hallway. I looked at her, as she smiled a genuine smile.

"We're really about to do it. Y'all ready? Because hell, I know I am!" Prairie said.

"It's crazy. We met, what? Our freshman year in high school? And now we're all freshmen in college. On top of that, we got accepted into our dream school. Together." I said, looking over at my girls.

Jhasi poked her bottom lip out as tears fell from her eyes. I looked at Prairie, who was already looking at me. Is Jhasi crying right now? Are we dreaming?

"Aw! Jhasi, you gone make me cry." Prairie said, pulling Jhasi into a hug. I joined in on it right as my phone rang.

"I'll be back. Get her gangster ass to stop cryin so we can register for classes and then go get something to eat." I called out before stepping away from my friends.

I answered the ft call and immediately smiled when my brother's face popped into the camera. "You got niggas over here missin' you and shit already. How everything goin?" Von asked me.

"I miss you too. Everything's going as planned doe. Jhasi ass just busted out cryin, you turning her into a baby." I joked.

"Where she at?" My brother asked me. I moved my head out of the way, allowing him to see Jhasi and Prairie standing behind me at a fair distance.

"I'ma call her in a minute. Her goon ass gone be straight. Wus good doe? You ain't talked to no counselor or nothin' yet?" Von continued questioning me.

He wants to know for sure if I have to move on campus. I already told him the answer to that question when I first applied to the school. If you're a freshman in college, you are required to stay on dorms for at least your first year.

I guess he just wants to know from an actual professional at the school. I shook my head no, just as a lady that had the counselor title printed on her badge walked past me.

"Excuse me!" I called out as she turned around.

"Hi! What can I do for you?" The counselor asked me. I looked down at her badge, seeing that her name was Jessica.

"Hi, Jessica. I actually had a question. As a freshman in college, do I have an option of either staying on or off campus?" I asked her. She frowned, apologetically shaking her head no.

"Unfortunately, as a first time college student attending this school, you are required to stay on campus your first year here. It's actually a rule throughout many colleges here, in the states. I should, however, add that it'll be a great experience. You get a chance to explore the school a little better, rather than just attending." Jessica informed both Von and I.

"Thank you so much! I look forward to seeing you a lot more." I smiled, shaking her hand before we both walked away.

"You and dat fake ass customer service voice. Wus good wit it, nigga?" Von said to me before he turned his attention to somebody that had just came over.

"It's called professionalism." I corrected my brother.

"Yea. Her ass done went down to da University her and da ying yang twins got accepted into, to register for classes." Von informed somebody as my friends caught up with me.

"Bitch. Von just called y'all the ying gang twins." I said, bursting out laughing.

"I'm joked out." Jhasi sarcastically said as Prairie really started laughing.

I saw the phone moving before Bryson's face popped into the camera. I let my smile drop, as Bryson stared at me.

"Hannin?" He asked me.

"Hi, Bryson." I said as if I was completely over him.

"What yo lil ass gone be on later?"

"I'ma be wit—" I began before Prairie cut me off.

"She's lying. We don't have plans tonight."

I looked over at Prairie and rolled my eyes. Her ass know she could've went along with what I was saying. Sometimes Prairie's ass just talk too damn much. I know her intentions are pure doe.

She doesn't like feeling like Bryson is tryna dog me out, so she's always on him about that. She also doesn't like when we're mad at each other, because she says we both come talking to her about the same situation when we should be talking to each other.

"Aight. Good looks, my g." Bryson said, giving the phone back to Von.

"What he do?" Von asked me, probably noticing how irritated I looked all of a sudden.

"I don't wana' talk about it right now." I dismissively told my brother as he nodded his head.

"Aight. I got you when you get back." Von said before ending the call. I looked over at Prairie, as we walked into the registration office.

——
"You know i'on choose sides. I just observe and make sure y'all ain't out here trying to hurt each other." Prairie told me as we pulled up to Von's house.

"Yea, but that's yo brother. You know how dat shit go." I said, getting out of Jhasi's car. They both got out behind me.

"No, I don't know how it goes. So be kind enough to explain it to me." Prairie said, walking into Von's house behind me.

"Alright, Prairie. You got it." I told her.

I real deal don't feel like talking to her nomore. I wouldn't say I'm mad at Prairie, I'm just highly irritated at this point. I don't want her to have to feel like we're pulling her both ways.

Bryson is her brother and if it ever comes down to it, I want her to remember that. Bryson isn't even the issue at this exact moment. Prairie ass out yelling my whereabouts like me and her brother aren't on the outs right now, is the real issue.

I think people just have to understand and respect boundaries. That's all.

"You forgot you had a nigga?" Von asked Jhasi. I shook my head. Here his slow ass go already. Jhasi not gone entertain it doe, we all already knowing.

"I ain't forgot shit." Jhasi said.

"Yea, aight. Keep showin' yo ass." Von nodded his head.

"Boy, fuck you." Jhasi rolled her eyes as she sat on the couch.

"On my mama, I'a fuck you up. Stop playin' wit me, lil ass girl." Von said, walking over to Jhasi. I walked in front of him, making a face.

"Bye, Von! Go in the damn kitchen somewhere." I waved him off as he walked away. These two never argue, so I don't know what the hell the problem is. Shit. What's everybody's problem?

I followed him into the kitchen, where Bryson and Duke were sitting at the kitchen table. I watched as Von got him a water bottle out of the refrigerator.

"I'm only gone say dis shit one time, i'a really fuck shorty ass up." My brother ranted.

"You not gone fuck that one up, I tell you dat." I told him.

"Yea, aight." Von said as Prairie walked into the kitchen.

"Hannin, lil sis?" Bryson got up to hug her.