16.

KIMBERLY.

"Who was dat?" Von asked me as I walked back down the stairs.

"India." I softly said.

I sighed. I don't know why but suddenly, I felt like I didn't have the heart to tell Bryson that his friend got shot. He was having such a good day before this call. Bryson looked up after I said India's name.

"She good?" Von asked me. I bit my lip, shaking my head.

"Mane, what happened, Kimberly? Speak up." Bryson jumped in the conversation.

"She said Duke just got shot." I said, sitting on the couch.

"Naw. Not Duke." Bryson said, shaking his head.

"I wouldn't lie." I frowned as Bryson's phone went off.

"Dawg, sis ass just called talkin' bout yo nigga hurtin. Duke lil ass. They should be on they way to da hospital." Dexter said loud and clear into the phone.

Bryson and Von both jumped up at the same time. "Tell me y'all fuckin jocin," Bryson said. I shook my head no.

"Fuck dat stayin out of it shit! I should've never let my lil nigga out of my sight, knowin what was goin on." Bryson dragged his hand down his face.

I frowned. I'on know what to do right now. I watched as Von grabbed his keys and ran out to his car. Bryson was right behind him before I stopped him.

I grabbed his phone out of his hand. "Good looking for calling. Text what hospital they at." I told Dexter before I ended the call. I threw his phone on the couch as it vibrated with a text from Dexter.

I pulled Bryson to me, as I hugged him. He didn't hug me back. I sighed. I can't let him leave this pissed. I know shit won't end well because I know better. Plus, he would never let me go out on a rampage and make irrational decisions, so it's only right that I return the favor.

"Let me go, dawg. You fuckin slow? My brother somewhere out here shot and you tryna keep me here?" Bryson asked me in disbelief.

"I just need you to calm down. We can go together, ok?" I tried to reason with him.

"What you want wit me, Kimberly?" Bryson asked me.

"I want you to sit down and think. Duke is already hurt. What good would it do if you went out and got hurt too? My brother would lose his mind, Bryson. I would lose my mind," I confessed.

Bryson went and sat on the couch, shaking his head. I watched him closely from where I was standing. He dragged his hand down his face again before he stood back up and walked towards the door.

"Bryson, no." I said, running to stand in front of it.

"I'm tellin' you, mane. Get out my way." Bryson warned. I didn't move a muscle.

"Why you actin' like this? I understand what's happening but—"

"Because it's my fuckin fault! I showed him his way around da streets, nigga. I handed him his first brick, I helped him hit his first lick!" Bryson yelled, cutting me off.

I remained silent as tears ran down his face. I cautiously stepped closer to him, never breaking eye contact. I wrapped my arms around him and he finally held me back. I closed my eyes but quickly opened them, to lead him to the couch.

Bryson sat down as he pulled my body to him. I looked down at him as he buried his face into my stomach, beginning to sob. I frowned, not knowing what to say. My thoughts were running wild.

"Just let me go. I can't let my nigga go out like dis." Bryson cried out.

"Bryson, please. Just stay with me for a little longer. I'll call Von and see what's goin' on in a second. He'll handle Duke. Duke is a soldier. You know he is. And he's also understanding, he'll understand why I can't let you leave." I told him.