•12•

You pretty much wandered around the house for the whole day. Chica kept you company, jumping up and cuddling at every chance she got. By two in the afternoon, you were more bored than anything.

Your stomach growled, reminding you that you hadn't eaten lunch yet. You glanced toward the door to the basement. Mark probably hadn't eaten in a while either. You shook your head and sighed; you couldn't go there.

You decided to make lunch. Mac and cheese--always a good option! As you took down two bowls from the cupboard, you felt something nagging at you from inside, right next to the loneliness.

With a big breath, and knowing you couldn't go back, you opened the door to the basement for the first time. As you took your first step down, you paused as if Dark was going to appear out of nowhere to punish you.

When nothing happened, you continued slowly down the steps, until you reached the room Mark was in. Because Dark knew you were too afraid of him to disobey, he hadn't locked the door.

You poked your head into the room, and saw him. Mark. Tied to a pole. His head hung and his eyes were closed. When you cleared your throat, he looked up, revealing scrapes and wounds on his face.

Your breath stopped when you saw him. His eyes widened when he saw you. For a minute, the two of you just stared at each other. Mark broke the silence first.

"Where's Dark?"

You exhaled through your lips. "He went out."

"So he doesn't know you're here?" Mark asked.

You shook your head.

"You shouldn't be here," Mark said quickly. "If Dark finds out--" he pauses and sniffs the air a bit. "Is that food?"

"Macaroni and cheese," you said. You walked towards him and knelt in front of him. "How long has it been since you've eaten?"

"Too long," Mark admitted. He turned away. "But you can't stay here, it's too dangerous. I'm sure he'll feed me soon."

"I'm not taking that risk, especially since I'm already here," you said firmly.

Mark tried to argue again, but stopped when he saw you holding out a spoonful of food. Evidently, his hunger was taking over. Reluctantly, he took the food. You didn't start eating until he was done.

"What has he done to you?" Mark finally asked after a few more moments of silence.

"What do you mean?" You said, not because you didn't know how to answer, but you weren't sure where to start.

"He's broken you," Mark said. "You're beaten up, your eyes are sad. But why did you come down here anyway?"

"Because I love you," you said. "And I knew he hadn't fed you. I wasn't going to do nothing."

Mark sighed, then smiled. "I love you too."

The two of you sat and talked for a while. You hadn't realized how much you had missed him. Within minutes, you were leaning against him, and he rested his head on top of yours. Just this little act of affection makes you realize how much pressure is on you.

You couldn't let things get out of control. As much as you wanted to fight Dark, you couldn't risk Mark's life like that. If anything happened to him, you would never forgive yourself. Especially if you could have stopped it.

Suddenly, you heard Chica barking. You and Mark exchange a worried glance, then you look at your watch.

"It's five o'clock!" You exclaimed quietly.

You quickly got up and grabbed the bowls from lunch. As you left the room, you hear the front door open. You frantically looked around for a place to hide the bowls. Your eyes settled on the laundry basket.

Thankfully, there were already clean clothes in the basket, so you could bury the bowls easily. You took the basket and ran up the stairs. Before you could get to the top, the door opens. You stared into Dark's angry face.

"I thought I told you not to come down here!" Dark growled.

"I-I know," you stuttered, desperately trying to come up with an answer, "but I noticed that we needed more laundry, so I thought I'd bring it up."

Dark looked past you and down into the basement. "You didn't go see Mark?"

"Why would I be that stupid?" You asked.

Dark studied you, then stepped aside to let you pass. You hurried up the stairs with the laundry, but you could still feel his eyes on you, even though you couldn't see him. As you entered your room to put away the clothes, you sagged against the door. How much longer would you have to put up with this?