19

"You ready?" Mark whispers to you. 

You timidly nod and crouch down behind the tree. If this doesn't work, you know you could end up back in the basement, or worse, and Mark would be dead.

Mark takes a big breath and steps out from behind the tree, revealing himself to Dark. "Hey, Ugly! Over here!"

Dark whips his head around and Mark takes a few steps away, distancing himself from you.

"You do realize that I'm a carbon copy of you, right?" Dark says, moving toward him. 

You move to the other side of the tree as Dark gets closer. You can't afford to be seen. At just the right moment, Mark takes off in a dead run in the opposite direction of you. Thankfully, Dark starts to follow him.

As they go, you follow, running, and try to keep up with Dark, while also trying to stay hidden. Spying the large, yet sloped boulder that Mark had pointed out earlier, you climb it just as Dark runs past it and leap onto his back.

Thrown off, he stumbles, but keeps his footing. Mark throws himself at him and grips the cane. Not about to be defeated so quickly, Dark swiftly pushes Mark back against a tree and throws you off of his back. 

Once you hit the ground, you try to ignore the pain in your tailbone and watch Dark to see what he's going to do next. To your horror, he turns to you.

"So you're stronger with him here," he states. His voice sounds even deeper than it had mere moments before.

Before he can do anything, Mark bounces back and jumps onto Dark's back. You take your opportunity and kick his legs out from under him. He falls forward, nearly landing on you, but you manage to roll out of the way in time. 

Dark hits the ground just as you get to your feet. His grip slackens and you kick the cane out of his hand. Unfortunately, you kick it a little too hard and it goes flying to your left. You take off after it.

"Oh, no, you don't," Dark growls. He quickly stands and arches his back, sending Mark to the ground.

Just as you reach the cane, Dark tackles you, and you land face first in the dirt. Dark wastes no time on you, gets to his feet, and grabs Mark, who had just made it to the cane. As Dark wrestles Mark to the point where they're almost on top of each other, you lunge at him. You know full well that you can't do much to him physically, but if you can distract him for long enough, Mark may be able to do what he needs to with the cane.

With a surge of strength, Dark throws you against a tree and tosses Mark aside like a sack of potatoes. You hold the back of your head and try to ignore the pain surging through it. The back of your head feels a bit wet, and you realize with horror that it is more than likely blood. 

As Dark turns toward you, you notice that the end of the cane is glowing red. Not good. You glance over at Mark, who's looking more afraid than you had ever seen him. Your plan had failed. The last few weeks had just been the beginning of your demise. Everything you had tried to do to save Mark was destroyed. Now you're both doomed.

"It's the end for both of you now," Dark states. He drills his dark eyes into you. "I've said before, I'll say it again." He began to walk over to you. "You should have run while you had the chance."

Barely thinking, you jump forward, but not at Dark. You latch onto the cane in his hand and wrap your entire body around it like a snake. Feeling yourself hit the ground, you determine to not let go until he does.

"What the heck?!" Dark shouts, balance thrown off as he nearly topples forward.

You suddenly feel the weight on the other end of the cane shift, then disappear completely. Turning your head to the side, you see that Mark had taken advantage of your distraction. Knowing you have little time, you move the cane to one hand, and take off in the opposite direction.

As you run, you hear a loud grunt echoing through the woods. You glance over your shoulder and see Mark struggling to get up from the ground. What's worse, Dark isn't there. You quickly divert your eyes in front of you, and just in the nick of time, too. 

Dark is standing in front of you, eyes angry and arms crossed, as though he had been there for some time. Nearly plowing into you, and apparently desperate to get away, you dodge roll to the right, landing right next to a large rock.

An idea forms, and you get to your feet just as Dark gets close to you.  "Don't come any closer!"

You position the cane so that it's hovering over the rock. Dark's eyes move toward it and pauses, already knowing what you're ready to do.

"Now, (Y/n)," he says, suddenly calmer, "you don't want to do that."

"(Y/n)!"

You look to Mark, who is sprinting over to you. He pauses, stopping only inches behind Dark. 

"Whatever you're thinking about doing," Mark says firmly, "do it. Whatever he says, don't listen to him."

"(Y/n)," Dark says, tucking his hands behind his back. "We all know what you really want to do. You don't want to get rid of me."

You look up at him. "Why on Earth would I want to keep you around?"

"I've brought out your brave side," Dark states. "You were a tiny little coward before I came."

"That's what you wanted from me!" you protest.

"And why I went after you. But you've changed and, while I'm disappointed, you wouldn't be like this if it weren't for me."

"Don't listen to him!" Mark calls. 

But in that moment, what he says doesn't matter. This is a moment between you and Dark, so Mark could interject, but you aren't exactly listening.

"Listen to me, (Y/n)," Dark says. "We can make this work. If you destroy that cane, you don't want to see whats going to happen. You can destroy everything. You can turn this world upside down and kill your relationship with Mark. You breaking the cane won't do anything, so just give it to me, and I can make it all go away."

You watch Dark very carefully. The temptation to break the cane was strong, but the way he is watching you makes you hesitate. It's almost as if he was trying to put a spell on you. You know what you had to do.

You slam the top of the cane down on top of the rock. After that, everything seems to move in slow motion. Dark cries out and lunges forward. Mark rushes toward you, wrapping his arm around your waist, and pushing you to the ground. He lays on top of you in an effort to use himself as a human shield.

To your surprise, Dark isn't going for you. Instead, he picks up the cane and studies it in despair. Mark glances over his shoulder, then quickly begins to get up.

"We need to go," he said.

Almost immediately, you see why. Dark suddenly whips his head toward you. At his angry expression, you scramble to get up.

"You!" he bellows, running to you.

You hear Mark call you to you, but it's too late. Just as Dark gets to you, you see purple haze and light begin to appear behind him, growing very quickly. It almost looks like a portal. Your emotions hit you like a train when you realize that's exactly what it is.

You stop focusing on that as Dark grabs you by the collar and lifts you off of your feet.

"You!" he says again. "You little tramp. You may have stopped me this time, but let me promise you this."

You gulp as Dark's eyes begin to glow.

"You and Mark will never be rid of me," Dark promised. "I will be back. And when I am, you'll be the first to know."

With that, you feel the grip being released, but not because Dark's letting go. It's because he's disintegrating. As you hit the ground, Dark gives you one final death glare before he gives out one last anguished yell.

Within seconds, Dark's scream vanishes, along with his body. At the same time, the coloured haze and light disappear completely. 

The only thing you can hear is your thumping heart, as Mark pulls you up by the arm, and takes you home.