•14•

You were humming as you washed the dishes in the sink. Being with Mark today really helped to lift your spirits. As long as Dark's work kept up, this week would be so much more bearable. And as far as Dark knew, you hadn't been near Mark at all, which meant he would probably let you visit him again, and soon.

You hung onto that idea for dear life. If you had to be stuck here, you wanted to be stuck with him. Chica too. You sighed and stared outside at the sunlight. You hadn't realized how much you wanted to be free. Going back to the dishes, you just hung on to the fact that you could see Mark again tomorrow, and if that could happen, maybe things would work out.

"You're in a good mood."

Your breath caught as you whirled around. Dark stood on the doorway to the kitchen. A quick glance at the microwave clock told you that he was, indeed, perfectly on time.

"I didn't hear you come in," you said, turning back to the sink.

"I thought I'd make a smaller entrance," he said.

You felt Dark's cold hands running up both your arms to your shoulders. Squirming a little, you pulled the plug out of the sink and moved away from him. You could feel his eyes studying you from behind, but you didn't turn to look at him. You didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing the discomfort in your eyes.

"You didn't answer me earlier," Dark continued.

"What did you say?" You asked.

"I said, you're in a good mood right now."

"Am I?" You said. Although you knew it was true, you didn't want him to know that.

"You are," Dark said. You could still feel his eyes on you. "I'm just wondering what caused your emotions to perk up.

You stayed silent, and thankfully, Dark didn't pester you anymore. Instead, out of the corner of your eye, you saw him leave the kitchen. Slowly and silently, you followed him. As you watched, he made his way down to the basement, most likely on his way to talk to Mark.

Letting out a shaky breath, you perched on top of your knees. What was he doing? Your stomach started hurting as you wondered if Mark would tell Dark about your being down with him. He wouldn't do that willingly, but you knew what he's capable of.

Dark entered the room in the basement, glowering at Mark, who was still tied to the pole. His arms must have been getting sore. Good.

He looked different. Dark wasn't sure how, but there was something about him that wasn't as--sickly as it had been a few days ago. There was a different light in his eyes. There was more hope there then before.

"So, how are things?" Dark stalled, trying to make Mark more nervous than he already was.

"No different than before," Mark answered.

"Oh, really?" Dark said, amused smile on his face. "Because I'm noticing a change."

Mark furrowed his brow, but tried to maintain innocence. "How so?"

Dark watched him for just a moment, then answered, "You have more energy. Your eyes are brighter. You tensed up when I came in, instead of merely looking up at me like you had before."

Mark lowered his eyes to the ground, hoping that Dark hadn't seen what was in them. He had secretly been hoping that you were back, but when he had seen Dark, he got nervous. What if he knew?

"If you're not going to explain yourself willingly, I'll make you do it," Dark threatened.

"You can't," Mark piped up. "You promised (y/n) you wouldn't hurt me if she listened to you."

"So, you were paying attention," Dark commented. "But who said I was even going to touch you?"

You sat on the couch in the living room, listening for anything that would tell you what Dark was doing. He had promised not to hurt Mark, but then, he had also promised to let you see him. Since this whole thing had started, the only time you had been in the basement, was when you snuck down.

Hearing footsteps coming upstairs, you sent Chica to go lie in the other room. You stand and try to make it look like you were doing something.

Dark entered the living room, but you didn't acknowledge he was there. Feeling him watching you, you let your eyes move toward him, but you don't outright look at him. Almost as soon as he had come in, he left again.

Against your better nature, you followed him out of the room. He must have heard you coming, because as you turned the corner, he was already facing you.

"Oh! Um--" you paused, trying to collect your thoughts. "How is he?"

Dark stared at you. You thought you saw a hint of sadness cross his face, but that wasn't possible, was it?

"He's fine," Dark said.

He tried to turn away, but with a surge of confidence, you grabbed his arm. Turning back, Dark's sadness had changed to anger, and you quickly let go, sensing there would be a major issue if you didn't.

"I just--what did you do to him?" You asked timidly.

Hearing the sudden lack of bravery in your voice, Dark's demeanor changed from sad and angry, back to his usual smugness.

"He's fine, (y/n)," he said. You didn't like the way he said that. "I suspected him of something, and he was innocent."

You felt a brief sense of relief, until Dark continued, "Now, you on the other hand--"

You looked up at him quickly as he said, "What have you been doing these last few days?"