18

Ignoring Mark's protests, Dark drags you down the hall to the same room he had taken Mark only a few minutes before. You say nothing, knowing that there's no point. 

"What's wrong, (y/n?)" Dark taunts. He throws you against. "Out of things to say?"

As he land yet another blow to your nose, you try to think of a way out. But there's no point. Tears and blood trail down your face."

"Did you honestly think you could defy my rules and get away with it?" Dark continues. "It actually shocks me. Here, I thought you were doing really well. I almost let you move on to the next step."

You pause your crying, trying to understand what he's saying. 

"What next step?" you say, looking up at him.

Dark doesn't answer, instead raising fist. You cower, and he smiles.

"That's the (y/n) I want to see." He kneels and guides your chin upward so that you have to  look at him. "Small. Quiet. It's a shame you couldn't live under my rules. We could have had something beautiful, (y/n)."

Hardly thinking, you spit at his face. Dark drops your face and stands.

"If only you were the obedient girl I thought you were."

He punctuated his sentence by punching you in the gut. The air escapes your system and the blow makes you gasp for breath. Before letting you catch your breath, he grabs your neck, lifts your body, and pins you against the wall.

"Now you'll see the monster I am," Dark growls.

Your heart practically stops with fear. You have a couple of ideas of what he's going to do to you, and you don't want to experience any of them. You brace yourself anyway. He's got a solid grip around your throat, and there's no way for you to get away from him.

Until he pauses, and you discover why. There's a scratching sound at the door.

 Chica?

Dark drops you, and you cough for air. You want to call to him, to stop him. By the time you manage to even open your eyes, Dark is already at the door, saying something under his breath. You just hope he won't hurt her.

Dark opens the door--and staggers back as though he had just been hit. And then you see why. Chica is sitting on the floor, like the good girl she is, and Mark is right next to her, although he's moving a lot faster.

He plows into the room, knocking Dark over completely and makes a beeline for you. 

"Are you okay?" Mark asks, as he picks you up, bridal style. He tucks a piece of hair out of your face.

"How did you get free?" you ask him in shock.

Mark takes off at a run out of the room. "I figured it out."

He calls to Chica, who appears almost instantly, bounding up the steps right beside the two of you. As the two of you reach the top of the stairs, Mark frantically looks around, like he's planning his next move. He lets out a big breath.

"I can walk," you tell him.

Mark puts you down, then grips your hand and pulls you toward the door.

"He's going to come back at any moment," Mark says earnestly, "and I'm not losing you to him again."

Your heart flutters as he pulls you toward the door and tries to unlock it. The lock turns, but as the knob doesn't. Mark steps back and places his hands on his hips, reevaluating.

"He did something to the door," you whisper.

Even as you speak, you hear heavy footsteps thundering up the stairs.

"Come on!" Mark grabs your hand again and races to the living room.

He pauses at the big window, and immediately you realize that you and he have the same idea. Mark quickly releases you and runs to grab it. Just as he gets back into the living room, Dark appears in the doorway.

"Mark!" you yell as Chica barks.

Without hesitating, Mark rushes back into the room and launches the chair through the window. You jump back, trying to avoid the glass shattering to your feet. Mark clutches your hand again and pulls you through.

The glass on the side of the window slices through the skin on your arm, but you keep moving. Chica jumps through the window after you.

The night is cold and the air is raw on your throat. The ground is rough, dirty, and full of rocks. It's hard on your feet, but, the stakes are high now, and you know you can rest once Dark's gone. Mark pulls you along, into a wooded area.

"I'm hoping to be able to avoid him inside all the trees," Mark suggests. 

"That maybe fine for now," you say. "But how can we get rid of him for good?"

Mark exhales and ducks behind a huge tree. "I have a hunch, but I'm not really sure."

"What?" you ask.

You hear steps thundering into the woods behind you and Mark. He has to be quick in his explanation, and you know you have to form some sort of plan.

"He's not from this dimension," Mark whispered. "He can't be here without having some form of power with him. I'm just not sure where."

"Oh, Mark," Dark called in a sing song voice. "You can't hide from me forever."

The two of you glance around the tree. Dark is nearby, but he isn't facing you, thankfully. He's carrying something in his hand.

"The cane," you and Mark say at the same time.

"See, I thought about that, but I  really wasn't sure," Mark admits.

"That would explain why there was so much force when he hit me with that," you conclude.

Deciding that the two of you need a plan, you quickly and quietly concoct a simple one, knowing that Dark is only moments away from finding you.