20

The next few days go by in a blur. Your parents call to inform you that they're on their way home. Chica's more relaxed. It's like she knows that everything's right again. You decide stick around at Mark's house for the next little bit. Admittedly, you're nervous that Dark's going to come back as soon as you're alone. You can tell from Mark's demeanor that he's feeling the same way.

One night, you decide to sit outside on the deck and watch the sunset. But you can't focus. Every time you see the purple sky, you see Dark's portal reopening. The approaching night makes you wonder if Dark is just, hiding, ready to burst from the darkness.

After a few minutes, you hear the patio door open, then close, then footsteps approaching.

"Are you okay?" Mark asks, taking a seat next to you.

You hesitate, not even sure. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"About Dark?"

"About everything," you turn to face him. 

Mark sighed. "I thought I had him under control. He hasn't been around in--forever."

You shift but stay quiet. At your expression, Mark continues and decides to elaborate.

"And I was afraid that once you found out, not only would you be in danger, but--I didn't want you to leave me," he admits. "He only comes out when he really thinks he has an advantage over me.  And this time, that advantage was you."

You tuck a piece of hair behind your ear as you try to think of something to say. It really was a lot to take in.

"Were you ever going to tell me?" you ask.

"Yes, absolutely," Mark answers quickly. "I just--didn't know how. I mean, how do you explain that your evil clone from another dimension may or may not be coming for you? And possibly your girlfriend?"

"That does sound insane," you laugh a little for the first time in days. You let out a big breath. "I just--I don't know. The whole thing was insane."

Mark nods slowly. "I know. It is." He sits back. "I wouldn't blame you for leaving, though. Honestly."

You shake your head as you look at him. "I don't think that's where my head is right now. Dark was our biggest problem...right?"

"I sure hope so," Mark admitted.

"Then if we could handle that, we should be able to face literally anything else," you figure. "At least, that's what I assume."

"That--was not quite what I was expecting you to say," Mark says.

"I'm serious," you say. "Honestly, I--I can't think of anything tougher than what we just went through. And if we could get through that, we can get through anything."

Mark's face broke into a smile. "So, you're not leaving?"

You smiled at him and took his hand. "I'm not going anywhere."

THE END