(2) I Just Need Some Water

Chapter 2 is here! I'm trying to develop an upload schedule to keep me on track.

Enjoy this chapter where Makennah finally meets the Sinclair Brothers!

_____________________

Around midnight, after Makennah binge watched a few episodes of Friends, her dry mouth begged for a glass of water, and she simply couldn't push it off any longer. She avoided going downstairs this entire time no matter how loud her stomach growled or how dry her mouth got. Despite how much she wished the Sinclair family would go to sleep, she never heard the boys fumble of the stairs and go to bed. Which meant they were still awake. In the basement. Or somewhere else.

The possibility of a collision between the new foster child and the boys was just too high.

But she was starving.

So she threw on a bralette, a cute t-shirt, and flannel pajama shorts.

With a lot of practice and small feet, Makennah tip toed down the stairs into a dark family room. She wasn't surprised that none of the stairs creaked considering how new the house was. To make sure the boys weren't in the kitchen or anywhere else on the main floor, Makennah paused at the bottom of the stairs and listened for voices. She couldn't hear anything so she proceeded into the kitchen. Tiptoeing across the cold floor, she found the light button on the microwave atop the oven and clicked it on to shine some light in the darkness.

Makennah was so thankful that the Sinclair parents had already gone to sleep. Will and Carolynn were nice enough but she wasn't in the mood to engage in any meaningless conversation as they tried to get to know her.

And she definitely didn't want to answer any intruding questions.

Makennah was digging through the cupboards, shoving her hair out of her eyes, when she heard multiple overlapping footsteps tromping up the stairs in the basement. She panicked and didn't know what to do. It was too late to escape.

Darting back and forth, Makennah was contemplating ditching when all four Sinclair boys piled into the kitchen.

With wide eyes, Makennah froze in the middle of the kitchen.

Four very cute, very attractive, athletic brothers huddled around the kitchen island and looked Makennah up and down like a zoo gorilla had just escaped from its cage.

"Hi," the youngest of the four lifted his hand in a little wave. A big cheesy grin covered his face.

Swallowing roughly, Makennah smiled briefly and clenched the bottom of her t-shirt in her fists. "Hi," she mumbled. "I uh...just need some water."

She was 100% certain that the Sinclair parents had not envisioned that the first sibling meeting would occur like this.

No one moved. Everyone stared at each other. Makennah held her breath. 

Finally, one of the boys stepped forward and rounded the kitchen island. He walked over beside the fridge, opened a kitchen cabinet, and pulled out a clear glass which he extended to Makennah like a peace offering. Delicately, Makennah accepted the drinking glass from him without any physical contact of their fingers. 

"So you're Makennah?" He asked. 

The rest of the boys stared in silence. 

Because she knew she couldn't back down, Makennah made eye contact and nodded, tucking her hair behind her ears. "Yeah."

"Well..." The brother glanced back at his siblings, clearing his throat as if to snap them to attention and out of their daydreams. "I'm Matt. The oldest."