(20) Did You Hear...?

Recap:

"Sweetheart, you tell me when and I'll pull this car over immediately and test every single one of those theories."

Brazenly, she looked right at him and said "when."

Raising his eyebrows, Theo pressed his foot on the break and pulled over, parking on the side of the road.

Sucking in a deep breath, Makennah clawed at the door and pushed herself away from him. "Okay I was kidding."

Again Theo laughed at her. "Relax, Kennah, we're here."

"Oh." Her grip on the door relaxed and she leaned back in her seat.

"Don't worry. We can pick this up later. Let's go."

——————————————————-

"No. I'm not getting out of this car. You told me I didn't have to." Stubbornly, she refused to move.

"Pleaseeeeeee, Kennah come on!" Theo turned the car off and instantly the warm heat drained from the Lexus.

"Nope." Not happening.

"Fine." Planning to investigate himself, Theo exited the vehicle and stood by the hood for several seconds, glancing around to ensure no one would see what he was about to do.

Once again, Cassandra's car was parked in the driveway. But the other car was missing.

Casually tucking his hands in his pockets, Theo crossed the street and hopped onto the curb. Makennah watched his long legs stride across the concrete and enter the grass of the coach's property. Inside, almost all of the lights were off. It almost looked like no one was home.

In the darkness, Makennah lost sight of Theo as he dipped into the shadows of the coach's property. She didn't spot him again until Theo was jaywalking the street back to his car.

She admired his long legs. His wide shoulders and muscular arms that were displayed by his tight grey long sleeve shirt. His jeans hung low on his hips, enough to show his boxers briefly as he shoved his fists in his pockets. Ducking his head, Theo hurried back to the vehicle and climbed inside.

"No one is home," he stated.

"Is her location still here?" She asked.

"Yep." Theo checked his phone again for good measure.

"Do you think she left her phone here on purpose?"

Theo shrugged. "It's possible. But where would they go?"

Makennah mulled it over in her head. "Romantic date?"

"Too late for that."

"Romantic getaway?" She suggested.

"Let's wait a little while and see if anything happens," Theo offered. He started the car and positioned the heat on a higher level. When the sun fully descended, the earth cooled off considerably.

Content with silence, Makennah sighed and snuggled into the dark leather seats. Closing her sweater around her torso, she bent one leg and tucked it under the other. The motion stirred her memory of their previous conversation and suddenly she wasn't so cold anymore.