(7) The Girlfriend

"I'll see you tomorrow class," Mrs. Dubowitz announced as we exited homeroom/chemistry class around nine in the morning. It took every ounce of Makennah's will power not to march down to the office and demand a new class schedule - one that didn't involved chemistry or one Mrs. Dubowitz at eight am every day.

Mrs. Dubowitz's saving grace was the fact that she completely ignored all of the eyes trained on Makennah (the new girl) and pretended that she didn't even exist. During roll call, she glanced over Makennah like any other student. It made her feel a little less gorilla-in-a-zoo-behind-the-glass.

Carting her new heavy chemistry book back to her locker, Makennah marveled at the newness of her school book. At all of the other schools that she attended, the school's couldn't afford new books and rarely received grants from the state. As a result of lack of funding, the last president that her previous history book reported was President Nixon...before Watergate.

"How was class?" Grace asked Makennah when they reached their lockers beside one another.

It made her heart warm up that Grace was willing to still try to be her friend even after all that weird stuff with Theo and her. She couldn't even think about that right now.

"I had Mrs. Dubowitz." She thought that might be all the explanation she needed.

Grace burst out laughing. "That bitty old witch. I bet that was fun."

"Yeah, that coupled with chemistry this early in the morning almost did me in."

"You know some actually think she's a real witch," Grace whispered as she closed her locker with her new book inside. Makennah did the same and propped her shoulder up in the cold metal while crossing her arms.

"Really?"

A new voice from a new girl that Makennah had never seen before piped into their conversation. "Totally. When I was a freshman, I heard her reciting a spell during lunch time when she thought she was alone in the teacher's lounge."

"You're kidding!" Grace kept talking as if the beautiful creature in front of them was someone she knew and conversed with often.

"Dead. Serious. It was all in Latin." The girl's long chestnut waves gracefully fell over her shoulder and cupped her round cheeks. Her rosy cheeks and rounded cheekbones gave her a youthful inviting glow. "Anyways, I actually came over to say hello to you." The girl turned towards Makennah.

Well that was weird.

"I'm Cassandra. Matt's girlfriend. Don't worry he didn't tell me to come over here or anything. He told me you were coming to school here so I wanted to introduce myself. I was the new girl here when I was a freshman, and I didn't assimilate so well at first." She made this face like it might have been the worst year of her life but she laughed it off. "I wanted to let you know that you can ask me any questions you have at all or even sit with us at lunch! The more familiar faces you know, the better. Plus, I'm sure I'll be seeing you around at the house."

Well first of all, she didn't even know that Matt had a girlfriend. But she really wasn't that surprised that Matt landed himself a stunning fairy-like girlfriend with an endearing personality to match her gorgeous looks. "Wow, thank you! I appreciate that. And it's so nice to meet you."

"Of course!" Cassandra flipped her hair over her shoulder. "I have to get to class but I'll see you later! Grace, green is such a beautiful color on you. See you around!"

"Thanks, Cassandra," Grace politely said as Cassandra floated down the hall towards her next class, hugging classmates and waving to teachers as well as staving off the boys who jokingly flirted with her. It was like watching a famous movie star try to fit in at a normal high school, the way people fawned over her. "She's very popular, I know. If that's what you're thinking."