(41) Ready

Because she knew that Carolynn would wake her up, Makennah didn't set an alarm and let me body relax to sleep in. Around ten in the morning, Carolynn knocked and welcomed herself into the room.

"Good morning, junior homecoming court attendant! Today is the day!" Carolynn whispered excitedly. She sat on the edge of the bed and peeled the covers back from her face. The warm sunshine shone across her white comforter and heated her body comfortably. "I have a surprise for you downstairs so take a couple of minutes for yourself and then head on down, okay?"

Makennah raised her eyebrows. "Surprise? What kind of surprise?" Carolynn was very crafty so Makennah couldn't even make an educated guess.

Carolynn winked and patted her leg. "Downstairs. When you're ready." Then she left Makennah alone to fully awaken, brush her teeth and that sort of thing.

After a couple of minutes freshening up, Makennah wandered down the stairs, expecting some homecoming festivity things. That was the only educated guess she could make.

As she rounded the bottom of the stairs and made her way to the kitchen, Makennah heard unfamiliar voices chatting amongst themselves. She sneaked into the kitchen and gasped. "Oh my God."

"Hi!" Grace bounded around the kitchen island and threw her arms around Makennah.

"Good morning, sleepy head! The day is waiting for you!" Penny spread her arms wide, motioning to all of the unfamiliar items in the kitchen.

"Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey!" Meredith waved a breakfast biscotti in the air before dunking it into her light coffee and crunching off a huge bite in her mouth.

"What are you all doing here?!" She asked excitedly. She couldn't imagine starting off homecoming any better than this. "You did this?!" She asked towards Carolynn

She nodded excitedly. "Of course! This is a big day! A big special day! I invited them all over for manis and pedis. Plus I have two hairstylists coming over and two make up artists to get you all ready for the dance!"

Makennah's eyes widened. "Carolynn...thank you. That's so nice." Because it was all so hectic, Makennah previously minded her business about the dance. Carolynn assured Makennah that she would take care of everything. She just didn't think it would be this amazingly extravagant.

Carolynn wrapped her arm around Makennah's shoulders and kissed her on the forehead. "Oh it's no problem, sweetheart. Really I'm the lucky one. I've never had girls in the house to do all of these fun things! This is a treat for me!" Clapping her hands in commencement of the homecoming preparations, Carolynn motioned to the array of food displayed on the counter. "So! This is for you girls to snack on all day. Light food that won't sit heavy and make you bloated. And then..."

"Amen," Penny jutted in while snacking on an apple.

"...and then...this is a glass of mimosas. Do not and I repeat, do not tell William. Do we understand, ladies?" She accusingly pointed her finger at all of the girls until they agreed to keep the mimosa thing a secret. Makennah giggled a little with Grace and sat at a bar stool. "The ladies to do your nails will arrive in about twenty minutes. So get situated and we will start soon!"

Forty-five minutes later, Makennah lounged in a chair beside Penny with her hands relaxed over the edges, freshly painted nails drying. Little white moisturizing pads were stuck to her face under her eyes to smooth out the skin and rehydrate before applying makeup. All four of the girls sported the same look, and Grace even wore a green gel like mask over her entire face.

"So Makennah...how much do you like Theo?" Carolynn questioned out of the blue.

Beside her, Penny started giggling and trying to cover it up by curling her lips into her mouth.