(18) Miss Popular

On the way home, Theo and Makennah jammed out to popular hits on the radio. The caffeine buzzed through her system and gave her spurts of energy. She impressed Theo with her lyric memorization skills as she killed every verse and chorus. The lighthearted drive helped Makennah to unwind from all that she had unloaded on Theo.

Part of her regretted allowing him in to see all of the dirt and baggage she carried. Makennah was damaged goods. Now he knew. More than anyone else knew.

Theo cruised up to the Sinclair's house. Will was mowing the lawn in athletic shorts and a Wolverine's t-shirt. He waved and smiled when they arrived but continued his task.

"What am I going to tell Matt?" Makenna asked. Theo and she had never discussed hanging out behind Matt's back, but it was understood that he wouldn't be a fan. So they didn't tell him...or anyone, considering their sneaking around behind Matt's back was solely for his benefit – secrecy was of the essence with a delicate matter.

"Just tell him that I saw you running and offered to take you to breakfast after he turned me down to hang out with his cheating unfaithful girlfriend," Theo answered, resting his hand on the back of Makennah's headrest.

"Can I modify that?" She grabbed her headphones and phone carrier.

"I prefer you didn't," he responded with a smirk.

"He'll take that well," she said sarcastically. "Do you want your t-shirt back?"

Theo watched her with amused eyes. A smirk played on his lips. "No, keep it." He cleared his throat. "Unless you want to undress. I'm cool with that."

"Goodbye, Theo," she spat out and rolled her eyes.

"Ahh I love the way you say my name, so angelic." Feigning warmth, Theo laid his other hand over his heart and reveled in the moment.

Shaking her head at his dramatics, she opened the door and got out.

"Wait!" He shifted the car in park and popped the trunk. Circling the vehicle, he dug in the drunk while Makennah waited impatiently. Shutting the trunk, he crossed the driveway to her side and extended out his hand with the gift – his jersey. "For tomorrow."

She fingered the silky material and stuttered over her words. "I didn't..."

Theo winked. "Can't break tradition now."

"Are you sure there isn't someone else who you would rather wear this?" He had girls drooling at his feet daily. And he wanted Makennah to wear it?

"If I wanted them to wear it, why would I give it to you? See ya, Mr. Sinclair!" Theo waved goodbye to Will and hopped in his car before Makennah could argue her point. Feeling very insecure wearing both Theo's t-shirt and carrying his jersey, Makennah hoped to sneak inside and slink up the stairs to her bedroom without running into anyone.

She wasn't so lucky.

"Is that Theo's jersey?"

Makennah felt like throwing up. "Hey, Jonah," she greeted the littliest Sinclair as she continued to mount to stairs to her room. She couldn't turn back now.

"Is that Theo's jersey?" He asked again, following her up the stairs to the second floor.

Her heart pounded. She didn't know why. It's not like she had anything to hide. "Yes."

"What is this....the third week?"

"Mhmm," she hummed noncommittally.

"In a row?"