(10) Six

Theo dropped her off at the house later than expect. She yawned and kicked off her flip flops, locking the front door behind her.

When he heard her enter, Will walked into the room in his pajamas and glasses carrying a cup of tea. "Hey you're getting in late."

"I'm sorry, I didn't do it on purpose. Trig took a lot longer than I thought." Truly, she didn't mean for this to happen. She hated lying to her new foster family right off the bat but she definitely couldn't tell Will what she had actually been up to.

"What friend were you with again?" Will asked out of genuine curiosity, not like he was prying or trying to find her in a lie.

"Grace. Grace Fitzgerald."

"Oh right right. You two are in the same class together?"

Will sipped from his tea cup while Makennah dumped her bag and books on the floor. "Yeah, she's pretty nice."

"Is your first week of school going okay?" Will leaned against the staircase banister and watched Makennah rearrange her stuff in her book bag for the next day and take out stuff she didn't need.

"Yeah, actually it's going pretty well. I guess I can't complain." Fatigue from an adrenaline rush crashed over her head like a ton of bricks. She knew that Will was trying to be nice and catch up since they hadn't talked much, but she just wanted to crawl into bed.

"I heard you decided to join the soccer team."

Makennah sighed and leaned against the bannister too. She figured she would have to give Will some juicy details in order to suffice him and make him go away. "I did. It was really nice what Carolynn did. I don't know if she told you but I was kind of mad at first. I talked to the coach though and I practiced with them once before I made up my mind. They're all really cool and the coaches are excellent. Everyone has a lot of respect for one another."

Will smiled and weaved his fingers through his greying hair. "That's great. I'm really glad you decided to join. I think you'll end up enjoying yourself. I just wanted to let you know that Carolynn, me, and the boys will be at every single game."

Makennah's eyes widened to the size of saucers. "No that's okay! Not necessary!"

"You're not getting out of this one, kid, sorry. We Sinclair's are avid sports fans and we will wear all your buttons, your number, you colors, and scream your name from the sidelines." Will laid his hand on Makennah's shoulder and smirked like Nick sometimes did. She recognized the resemblance right away.

Makennah groaned and dropped her head. "That's so embarrassing," she muttered under her breath.

Will just laughed and walked away. "Goodnight, kid."

A shirt smacked Makennah in the face when she stepped onto the verandah at the top of the stairs. Startled, she grabbed onto the banister and swiped away the silky material that blocked her vision.

Holding onto the shirt, Makennah stared at the recipient of her confusion - Matt.

Makennah was a little surprised to see him or interact with him considering he had been avoiding her for the past four days since she aired the truth about Cassandra that he still hadn't grasped. By no means had Matt been mean. He just didn't look or talk to her.

"What's this?" She asked.

Matt avoided eye contact by pulling out his phone and checking a text message. She didn't take to heart the cold shoulder that he constantly showed her. Deep down, Makennah understood that he was fighting a demon of truth and lies trying to figure out if there was really something going on with Cassandra. Makennah knew that doubt could kill Relationships if the cheating didn't.