(27) How To Catch the Guy

Come Friday morning, Makennah's feet literally dragged to school. Getting out of bed was tough. Brushed her teeth and hair was harder. Forcing herself to get dressed was excruciating.

Especially because she didn't have Theo's jersey.

She hadn't seen him since Monday. Hadn't talked to him. Hadn't texted him. He didn't come to the house. He didn't text her. She didn't even see him at school, roaming the hallways. Granted, it was a big school. But she almost always ran into him.

Or maybe they both forced themselves to run into each other's paths previously.

Makennah was experiencing major FOMO. Not only was she not wearing Theo's jersey but she wasn't wearing a jersey at all. She felt like she was missing out. She knew that Grace and Penny both had jersey's lined up to wear. The only reason Meredith didn't is because she was holding out for Nick.

When she arrived at school, she slumped off to her locker where she ran into Grace.

"Wow you look like garbage."

Makennah just glared.

"Did you sleep at all?" Grace asked as she dug into her locker.

Instead of responding, Makennah pulled out her phone from her back pocket of the new jeans that Carolynn bought her because she received a text.

T- good morning sunshine. Check your locker

T- have a good day

"Earth to Makennah!" Grace waved her hand in front of her face.

Her head snapped up. "What?"

"I was talking to you and you totally spaced out. What's so important on your phone?" Grace huffed unhappily as she dug around in her locker for her lip gloss.

Makennah stared at her locker, a little afraid of what was inside. She had two competing thoughts...

How did he get in her locker?

And why was she so ridiculously ecstatic to hear from Theo after a few measly days of silence?

"Oh I just got a text from Carolynn."

"Liar!" Grace snatched the phone away from Makennah, intrusively reading her texts. "Ok what's in your locker?" Grace wiggled her eyebrows. She had no idea that Theo had been keeping his distance since their chat with Matt. She had no clue that it was killing her.

Without further delay, Makennah spun the dial to enter the pin and unlock her locker. Inside on a hook hung Theo's jersey. Number six. Pristine and clean. Pressed and ironed. Waiting to be worn.

"Aw that's cute!" Grace dug it out and held it up for Makennah. "Go change in the bathroom!"

Makennah bit her lip. "I'll think about it."

Grace's brow puckered. She was starting to pick up that something wasn't right. "Is something wrong?"

The bell rang, saving Makennah from explaining. "Gotta go!" she stuffed the jersey in her locker.

She texted Theo as she darted away from Grace to escape interrogation.

M- back at ya. Are you sure this is a good idea?

M- I'm also concerned that you so easily got into my locker

T- office aid. Easy info to find ;)

T- I told Matt that I overheard some super nerds talking about you and one of them was planning to ask you to homecoming today. I asked him if it would be okay if I gave you my jersey so they would back off