(6) Who's That Girl...? It's Mack

As someone who had to start over at a new school her junior year, I relate to Makennah in a very special way. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

—————————————————-

"Time to go! Come on, kids!" Carolynn yelled from downstairs. For the seventeenth time, Makennah reassessed her half-up top-knot before flicking the light off in the bathroom, grabbing her shoes and backpack, and running down the stairs along with Nick and Josh.

"Good morning, wonderful children!" The most picturesque perfect TV mom, Carolynn was dressed and ready to go from head to toe even though Makennah knew she was a stay at home mom. She wore a smile that could dazzle the president and she held four cards in her hands. "Your ID's came in the mail yesterday. This is to pay for your lunch food, Makennah." Carolynn handed out the cards to each perspective child and stopped at Makennah to give her special instructions.

"The most important meal of the day is breakfast. Don't miss it," Matt said in an open announcement to all who missed it.

"I've got it covered, Matthew," Carolynn scolded, poking her finger in his chest.

He smiled and charmed the frown right off her face. "Love you, Mom." He kissed her on the cheek and bounded our the door with his keys in his hands.

"Indeed since you missed breakfast, I got you a protein bar," Carolynn whispered, sliding a wrapped protein bar in Makennah's hand. Although she couldn't form any words, she was actually grateful that Carolynn cared enough to think of her. Even though she woke up an hour before everyone else, Makennah changed her mind about her outfit and hair more times than she could count due to her anxiousness at starting a new school.

"Let's go!" Nick shouted before he ran after Matt our the door quickly followed by Josh.

"Mom, are you sure I have to go to school with them?" Jonah whined while he tied his shoes.

"Yes, baby, not up for negotiation."

"But school doesn't start for forty minutes after them. I'm just gonna sit there."

"Well you did it last year and you'll do it every year after that until you're in middle school which is very soon might I add."

"It's just so unfair!" Jonah complained.

Carolynn shot Jonah a look that silenced him. So he huffed his backpack onto his shoulders and slumped out the door.

And then there was one.

"Are you okay, honey?"

Makennah nodded and stared at the door.

"There's nothing to be afraid of. It's a wonderful school and the boys will take care of you. Ask them for anything and everything. Plus, you can always text me. They don't allow phones but...you know." Winking, Carolynn guided Makennah to do the door despite every screaming thought in her head that told her to run in the opposite direction. "Have a good day, dear!"

Taking a deep breath, Makennah opened the door and hesitantly slid through the tiny gap. Her heart leaped into her throat as she got in the backseat of the Jeep. All of the boys rode to school together in the morning. Even Jonah, although he was in elementary school. He just waited in the office of the elementary school until it began.

She shared the backseat with Jonah and Josh. Despite his grumblings, Jonah squeezed in the middle and clutched his backpack to his chest while he complained about how loud the music was. Makennah agreed that it was a little unnerving. Then again, anything could set her off right then considering how tightly her nerves were wound up.