Chapter VIII: Cthulu Mythos: Part III

» » »

"So what effect does this have?"

Fed up or because Al doesn't really want to argue with Rhon no more, she suddenly asked changing the topic.

Catching her meaning, Rhon immediately provided an answer.

"Remember Lovecraft?"

At the mention of his name Al's expression dive downward. Nonetheless, Rhon continued.

"His control of the mind is extraordinary. Taking the fact that it even affected you, a Priestess."

Putting the ring at the ring finger this time, Rhon explained further.

"So I just added some effect of counter measure when you're under its effect."

"Ouch! It pricked me!"

"My apologies, it's a needed procedure. The pain will soon disappear. The ring has very thin needle injected just through your skin. No matter what don't take it off, okay?"

Al nodded subconsciously.

Rhon had a very apologetic expression, burdened by not telling the whole truth.

When Rhon said it's a counter measure for mind control, he was telling the truth. But he specifically didn't say the whole of it.
The ring's true effect is to control the person who's wearing it.
The best way to break free from being controlled is to always have a presence of mind, or by a third party. Bound by blood, the ring contained much tremendous effect to take over the will of the person.

» » »

The residential area in Xena designated to commoners. An inn named Drunken Tenants. Your average inn like many others in the city. Second floor building, a room that has a clear view down the bustling street. A crow timidly land itself on the railing, seconds later it glides inside the room landing on the table.

Sunset just passed but the surroundings is just barely dark cause by lamps in every corner of the city. Illuminating those passerby. An old man move on a steady steps bringing himself on the porch releasing a crow, the same crow that went to his room earlier.

The old man watch the creature flying in the distance with a dead expression.

Moments later he said with a crisp voice.

"The eminent war... between races... is fast approaching. I wonder when... she'll make a move... Ahh... I'll be watching... your struggle..."

Saying those words, the old man went inside. After moving his line of sight in a certain manor. The old man seems to received a message saying his presence is needed elsewhere. But he ignored it and instead waited for something else.

» » »

Al alone in her room, lying on her cozy bed. Left hand lifted up high, her glimmering pair of eyes staring intently on her finger, or more precisely the ring on her ring finger. Obtaining what she wanted the most, she can't help but subconsciously loosen a mischievous smile.

-soon... what I desired will be completed soon.

A look of excitement and great anticipation. Like a maiden in love near her wedding day.

It's been a hectic day. For Rhon that is. The change of atmosphere in the guild can be seen clearly. People coming and going to do business increase thrice the number than normal. A group of mercenaries buying stocks and weapons, party of adventurers not usually seen together formed an alliance buying weapons and armor. Even those people detached from society made an appearance in the Commerce Guild. Specially those famous and infamous solo players, lone wolf as they call them. Appeared one by one.

"Hey isn't that Kest?"

"You mean that famous swordsman famed for his sharp curve blade? What's he doing here?"

"Not just him! Also Alric and Zena!"

"The warlock and the witch! Witnessing two incompatible fellows together? Something big is gonna happen soon!"

Ordinary Qisma (Players) conversed and chatted in astonishment like a peanut gallery.

With a position Head of Xena Innovation Department Branch, Rhon is considered a person in the top rank within the Guild. Which give him the privilege to know high classified information. Basically preparation for war is circulating on all staff of the guild. But only department heads and of course the branch guild master knows the other hidden information. The orders from HQ is for all branches to supply their respected territories arm's and provisions.

-those big wigs want to support both sides in the war? I don't really understand what they're thinking. Well, no members will be physically involved in the fighting. But my quota is doubling, it's gonna turn into a real headache if I didn't advanced to Master.

Rhon's level in Transmutation reach the Master level. And one specific skill catch his eyes. Unit creation, a skill that duplicate any thing that was created first.

For example:
Instead of creating pyr and is from the scratch. From metal ores to spare parts then assembling. Unit creation skip all process and instantly create new identical finished product of pyr and is. But the downside of instant creation is its quality will be cut in half. Meaning the destruction output of pyr will only be now 50%.
But one good thing materials needed to create them will also be cut in half.

And Rhon right now finished his quota quickly which gave him high praises from the guild master.

War needs time and preparations, it would take a year before an all out battle will occur. Right now would only be small scale skirmishes and a war of information.

» » »

-till next time