Chapter 2

Sarah leans against the Sanctuary fence, staring at one of the dead as it reaches out it's hands uselessly, trying to claw at the meal in front of it.

"You okay there?" Simon asks.

"Yeah, just thinking," she says, not taking her eyes off the dead thing.

"Whilst looking at that?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah." She smiles. "I find it calming."

"Erm, okay." Simon furrows his brows. "Everyone's at the front gate, ready to go."

Sarah tears her gaze away from the dead, making her way to the gate with Simon. "You coming along with us?"

Simon shakes his head. "Negan wants me at the satellite outpost."

Sarah raises an eyebrow. "And i bet you're just pleased as punch with that, what with Hilltop being your territory."

Simon shrugs. "Gotta do whatever the man says, not my call."

She'd swear she can feel his presence before she sees him, and sure enough, seconds later his boots make their way down the steps of the Sanctuary, Lucille hung over his shoulder. He doesn't even so much as glance her way, stepping into the passenger side of John's truck. Sarah breathes a sigh of disappointment. She'd purposely hung back with the hope that he might ask her to ride with him, instead, she heads to the only space left beside creepy Dave.

"Keep staring at me like that, and i'll rip those eyeballs straight out your skull." She scowls at him.

"The fuck rattled your cage?" Dave chuckles.

"Fuck off," she barely whispers, not in the mood for arguing.

~

They pull up outside Hilltop, two of their people stood above the gates looking down at Negan's convoy nervously.

Negan steps out of his truck, looking up at them with a smirk.

"Well, don't make me stand here all day, open the fuck up," Negan says with a smile.

The high, wooden gates slowly open with a creak, the three trucks Negan had brought rolling through behind him.

Sarah jumps down from the truck, quickly making her way towards Negan.

"Where's Gregory?" Negan frowns.

"I.. i'll go get him," the guard stutters.

"Well, hop fucking to it, i don't have all goddamn day," Negan says, swinging Lucille idly.

Sarah had never been to Hilltop, mostly because Negan had never been there, and she followed him everywhere like a loyal puppy. There's a huge mansion type building looking over a bunch of trailers, vegetable plots, and what appears to be a blacksmith making what looks to be a spear. The walls are huge, much bigger than she'd imagined, huge logs set into the ground, surrounding the entire place.

She watches as a slightly balding guy stumbles down towards them, hands in his pockets, most likely to hide the fact that he's shaking.

"Gregory?" Negan smiles.

Gregory nods, raising an eyebrow. "I normally deal with Simon.. nothing bad happened to him, did it?"

Negan clenches his jaw. "I have Simon on other business." His grip tightens on Lucille. "Simon tells me you've been light with your offerings."

"Yes.. we.. we've been struggling with the crops. I'm sure you've noticed, but there hasn't been much rain."

"Yes, i had fucking noticed, i'm not an idiot." Negan tilts his head. "But that's no excuse, Gregory. You're a leader, you should be thinking on your fucking feet."