Chapter 17

They'd been given the men they'd wanted except one, but Sarah figured they could handle him before he even knew what was happening.

She stands on the running tracks, twenty-six women in front of her. They look a pathetic bunch to her, and Sarah wonders why she's bothering going to the effort to save them in the first place. She pushes the thought away. They're women, and given the right training they could be useful in time. Also, they needed her help, and Sarah would be damned if she'd stand by and let a bunch of men dictate over them as if they were nothing more than playthings.

Sarah looks from Simon to Gavin, then she nods. To her surprise, Gavin walks over to Vince's other man and slits his throat. Vince's man drops to the ground, the women turning in unison as he grabs at his throat.

They shriek, and a few of them begin to scream. This isn't how Sarah wants it to go. If they don't shut up, they'll attract unwanted attention.

"Hey!" She yells, taking the gun from her hip. "Shut the fuck up."

Most of the women cower, but two make a run for it.

"Don't even fucking think about it. I'd put a bullet in you before you get anywhere near those trees," she warns them.

They freeze, sobbing quietly as they shake like leaves.

Grace steps forward. "She's helping us."

"Helping us.. she just killed Tony," a red haired women says, glancing at his body.

"Do you like it here?" Grace asks. "We all know how it is here. Yeah, we get to live, but at what cost?"

The red haired woman looks down at her feet. "So what is this?"

Sarah takes a step closer. "We're gonna take you to the Sanctuary. You won't have to worry about Vince and his men anymore."

"And what if we die on the way there?"

"That won't happen," Sarah assures her.

"You don't know that."

"No, not for sure I don't. But do you really wanna keep living this way? I'd rather fucking die to be honest," Sarah says. "It won't come to that though. Simon knows what he's doing, I know what i'm doing, and i'm guessing Gavin knows what he's doing." Sarah gives him a quick nod which he returns. "There's more men on their way, they're probably out there in the woods right now. There's a satellite outpost just a few miles from here. Shouldn't take you much more than an hour."

"You're not coming with us?" Grace asks.

Sarah shakes her head. "I've got shit to do here. Simon and Gavin will keep you safe, and like I said, Negan's men are on the way, you'll probably cross them in the woods."

"Thank you." Grace smiles.

Sarah stares at Grace, a strange feeling washing over her. She's unsure what to do with it, not used to doing something that seems so selfless. Sure, she has her sights set on Vince, but the plan to save the women had been her idea, and it makes her feel good. "You're welcome."

~

Sarah makes her way towards the armoury. They have thirty minutes before they're supposed to be back with the women, so thirty minutes before Vince realises something is wrong.

She swears under her breath as a branch snaps beneath her boot, then spends the next five minutes walking with her head down. Sarah sees Negan and two of his men in the distance crouched in the overgrowth near the cabin.

"How did it go?" Negan whispers.

"As planned. Simon and Gavin are leading them to the Satellite outpost."