Chapter 16

Simon looks up as Negan heads through the door, appearing as if he has something bitter in his mouth.

"What's up, boss?"

"Sherry's gone."

"Gone?" Simon raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah. John just got through on the radio. Said Amber was worried 'cause she hadn't seen her in a while."

"You think she just left?"

"Probably. She has done it before.. with Dwight."

"Is Dwight missing?" Negan shakes his head in reply. "You got people out looking for her?"

Negan runs a hand over his beard. "Not this time. I've told my men to keep an eye out, but.. if she doesn't wanna be there, then i'm not gonna fucking force her to be. I just.. if she didn't wanna be my damn wife anymore, i wish she'd have just fucking said something. I'm a reasonable guy, it's not like i would've put her on the fucking wall, i would've got her a decent job."

"Well, maybe she never really got over Dwight. Maybe it was too much for her?"

"Maybe." Negan looks out of the window, his back to Simon. "You think i'm doing the right thing, Simon?"

Simon stares at the back of his head. "Regarding what exactly?"

"With my wives. I mean, look at this place, and how the women are."

Simon shakes his head. "Come on, Negan. That's not the same, and you know it. Your wives know what they're getting themselves into, they know how it is. They can leave. Sarah on the other hand.." Simon trails off, looking down at his feet.

Negan turns to him with a frown. "What about Sarah? You got something you wanna say, Simon?"

Simon lifts his head. "I think what you're doing with her is not gonna end well. Don't get me wrong, i like her, but she's dangerous."

Negan steps closer. "Dangerous how?"

He rests his hands on his hips. "You know how she is, Negan. She can take someone out without a seconds thought."

Negan smiles. "Like yourself you mean."

"She idolises you.. and she wants you all to herself. And i think she'll stop at nothing to get what she wants. That's a pretty dangerous combination, since you're never gonna give her that."

He rests a hand on Simon's shoulder. "I appreciate your honesty, Simon. But i can handle Sarah."

~

The school took on an almost eerie quality after dark, much like the Sanctuary. But unlike the Sanctuary, there were almost no women to be seen. Most of them seemed to disappear, and those that didn't seemed to be either washing, drying, or sewing some kind of garment.

Sarah's footfalls echo through the corridors. She wonders what Negan's next move will be, if he makes one at all. Her theory about the women was still that, just a theory, even if she was certain of it herself.

She stands still, muffled voices in the distance. Light spills into the corridor as one of the doors opens, Sarah slinking back into the darkness.

"You'll do as i damn well tell you next time!"

Sarah peeks round the corridor, Grace wiping at her eyes as one of Vince's men all but shoves her out of his room before slamming the door shut. Grace leans against the wall, covering her mouth with one hand as she sobs into it.

Grace jumps as she feels fingers around her arm. "Wha-"

Sarah places a finger over her mouth, pulling at Grace's arm as she leads her down the corridor. She finds an empty room, closing the door behind her.