Chapter 18

Sarah wakes in the darkness. She wonders could she really have been out that long, then she realises she hasn't, as light peeks through her blindfold.

"Oh, look. Sleeping beauty's finally awake." Vince chuckles. He crouches down, pulling the blindfold off her eyes.

Sarah squirms on the floor, her hands tied behind her back, and her feet tied together. She looks around at what appears to be an office, but it's much more basic than the one at the school.

"I'm gonna take this gag off. If you scream, you'll regret it, understand?" She stares at him coldly, and Vince smiles. "What am I thinking, of course you won't scream. That's not you, is it?" He shakes his head. "No. Screaming is beneath you. You're not afraid of shit. You're the kinda person that leads men out into the woods and slits their throats." Vince grabs her arm and pulls her up till she's on her ass, then he removes her gag. "So, you got something you wanna say?"

"You're gonna die."

Vince laughs. "Your man Negan has no fucking idea where I am."

"Negan isn't the reason you're gonna die," she sneers.

Vince smiles. "Cute. I like you. I really wish you were on my side. But that seems out of the question considering the circumstances. It's a shame though. You're wasted on Negan."

"I don't give a shit what you think."

"Course you don't. But it's the truth, and you know it. He'll never love you. You'd have better luck with that big guy with the moustache. I think he likes you more than Negan does, but he's a smart man, knows how to keep his hands to himself."

"Simon doesn't-"

"Bullshit. I've seen the way he looks at you. It's kinda sad actually." Vince waves a hand.

"Where are we?"

"This place?" Vince grins from ear to ear. "Negan ain't as smart as he thinks. He's arrogant. See, he didn't think someone like me might have my own outpost. No, he's too busy fucking his bit on the side and his multiple wives, and you were too busy throwing Negan lustful looks and murdering my man. Tell me, Sarah, did you like killing him, did you enjoy it?"

"Not half as much as i'll enjoy killing you."

"That's not gonna happen i'm afraid. Not only do I have this secret outpost, but I also have thirty men guarding it, thirty men he knows nothing about."

Sarah clenches her jaw. They had been stupid, she can't deny it. Thirty men that they'd known nothing about, an outpost they'd known nothing about, most likely filled with weapons.

"I can hear the cogs turning in that pretty little head of yours. I wouldn't worry too much about it. This kinda thing happens when you get too comfortable, when you think you're above everyone else."

"We are above you, a fucking turd is above you." She spits.

"How's that?"

"What your men do, what you do, you're monsters."

"This coming from you?" Vince raises an eyebrow. "Maybe we are, but who gives a shit. We keep people safe."

"Negan keeps people safe."

"Sure he does. But he's failed here, hasn't he? You're not safe."

"I couldn't give a shit. If you're gonna kill me then just get the fuck on with it."

Vince leans closer, stroking her cheek. "Now why would I wanna do that? You're a pretty thing, feisty. I could think of much better things to do with you, and I am a monster after all."