Chapter 15 (A Flashback)

It had been six months since she'd arrived at the Sanctuary, and though Sarah had been weak when Negan had saved her, she'd become so much stronger in that short space of time. Negan's men had shown her how to use weapons correctly, and most importantly, how to safely use a gun. Though she'd become a pretty good shot, she much preferred handling a knife.

She sat in the passenger seat of a beat up truck, Simon behind the wheel. He glanced at her every so often, wondering just how far away from eighteen she was. Just as he were about to find a way to bring it up in casual conversation, she broke the silence.

"You think i stand a chance with Negan?" She asked, looking out the window.

Simon tried to hide a look of disappointment on his face. "Sure. But not till you're at least eighteen.. Negan doesn't do shit like that." He cleared his throat. "You know about his wives, right?"

"Yeah," she said nonchalantly. "Maybe he'd get rid of them.. if he fell in love with me." Simon stepped on the brakes, Sarah stretching out her hand so as not to hit the windscreen. "Jesus, Simon! You trying to kill me?"

He turned, pointing his finger in her direction. "I'm gonna give you some advice. Don't ever believe that you can change him. Negan won't give up his wives for nothing, and i very much doubt he'll fall in love with you."

"But-"

"No. You're gonna set yourself up for a whole shedload of disappointment." He interrupted. She looked down into her lap, her eyes beginning to well up. Simon tilted his head, letting out a deep breath. "That's just the way it is, Sarah. The way he is. He's not a bad guy, he just.. he's dealing with some shit. He won't open his heart up to you. As long as you understand that, then you'll be fine."

She nodded, not really taking in his words.

Simon started the truck, carrying on down the road.

"Where we going?" She asked.

"Satellite outpost. Negan wants to see how you do on guard duty."

"I manage just fine at the Sanctuary."

"Yeah, i know you do. It's different out here though. Sanctuary's more well guarded, and it has walls. The Satellite outpost doesn't."

~

They pulled up outside the Satellite outpost, two men guarding the doors.

"Dawyne." Simon smiled as he stepped out of the truck. "How's it going out here?"

"It's quiet," Dwayne replied, a cigarette clamped between his teeth. He squinted as smoke drifted upwards, glancing over at Sarah with a smile. "You must be Sarah. Simon tells me you're gonna be keeping me company later."

"I sure am."

Dwayne offered his hand, Sarah taking it and shaking it briefly. "Heard you're a good shot."

"I'm not too bad. I prefer knives though."

"Yeah, it's best to save bullets for when a knife just isn't enough. Don't wanna attract the dead."

"I'm gonna take her inside, show her around," Simon said, placing his hand against the small of her back as he led her towards the door.

As they stepped through the door, Sarah scrunched up her nose. "The fuck is that smell?"

Simon grinned as he opened a door to their right. "Pot."

Sarah frowned. The room was filled with at least a dozen cannabis plants, two Saviors tending to them. "We're really wasting valuable energy on that shit? So people can get high?"