Chapter 6

They'd been driving for five or ten minutes, Negan starting to feel certain that lack of sleep may have been making Sarah see things out the corner of her eyes.

Just as he was about to say exactly that, and berate her once again for not waking him so she could sleep, his eyes widen as he sees a pick-up truck in the middle of the road, two men standing in front of it with guns hanging off their shoulders.

"Shit. You see that?"

"Yeah." Negan steps off the gas, slowing to a stop. "Looks like you were right."

"They're packing heat," she points out.

"I see that. You follow my lead, sweetheart. Don't go getting ahead of yourself, okay?"

"Okay."

Negan grabs Lucille from the back seat, resting her against his shoulder as he steps out of the car, Sarah close behind him, her gun held down by her side.

"Hey there." A guy steps forward, a rifle hung off his shoulder. He stands about the same height as Negan, with dark hair cut short, and piercing blue eyes. Tattoos cover his bare arms, and there's a large tribal style tattoo peeking out of his leather vest and trailing up his neck.

Negan nods, his grip on Lucille tightening. "Hey."

"Just the two of you out here?" Tattoo guy asks, his comrade remaining silent.

"Maybe," Negan answers, not wanting to give too much away.

Tattoo guy laughs, rubbing at his stubble. "Sure. You're cautious.. don't blame you. Especially with a pretty little thing like her to look out for."

"Don't let her fool you," Negan warns him. "She bites."

"Really?" Tattoo guy smiles, licking his lips. Negan clenches his jaw, not caring for the way he's looking at her. "My name's Vince. What's your name, sweetheart?"

"Sarah, her name's Sarah." Negan frowns.

"What are you, her Daddy?" Vince raises an eyebrow.

Sarah struggles to stifle a laugh, snorting out of her nose nonetheless. Negan turns to her, throwing her a stare so cold she instantly regrets not keeping it in, and yet she smirks a little, a part of her liking the angry way he's looking at her.

"I'm not her fucking daddy," Negan says through gritted teeth.

"Well.." Sarah starts, quickly closing her mouth as Negan's eyes burn into her.

"Ahh, i see." Vince smiles. "And you are?"

"Negan."

Vince senses Negan's hostility, and let's out a deep sigh. "We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. Now, you seem like a smart guy. You can see that we're packing heat, and i'll just bet your minds doing overtime. Do we have more of these?" He gestures towards his rifle. "Do we have more people? Do we have a place?"

"The thought had crossed my mind," Negan admits.

"Well, the answer is yes, to all three. So maybe we can take a breath, stop measuring dicks, and chew the fat?"

Negan smirks a little, though slightly annoyed he didn't get out a line as good as that. "How many more of you are out here?" Negan questions.

Vince takes a radio from his hip. "I got three men a few miles from here. They saw you and your girl, radioed through."

"So, what the fuck do you want?" Negan asks.

"To make a deal, see if we can trade. That is the way it works now," Vince points out. "You're from that factory right?"